Author Topic: Flex max 60  (Read 2892 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Flex max 60
« on: December 31, 2009, 07:31:08 PM »
I have two Outback FLEXmax 60 MPPT's as part of my new installation and the cooling fans appear to have no run pattern and are very noisy.

Does anybody else have this problem or do I have the only two in the world that make a noise?

Based on my current experience if one dies then there is no way I would willingly buy another, they were install as part of a package by a accredited installer.

Perhaps it is a programming error, the installers entered the system shunt info incorrectly so why not this?

allan down under

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:31:08 PM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

ruddycrazy

Re: Flex max 60
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »
G'day Allan,

I replaced my AERL900B MPPT with a flex max 60 and yes the fan is noisy. It only runs for a short time when I've been around so I suppose thats just the way it is. One thing I was told by the dealer when I got mine the fan is a standard replacement if it should fail. The installers should of given you a manual for them so if you like I can go thru mine and point out the way they said to set mine up. I was asked what batteries I had, when I said 600ah sonnenscheins he said well mate the unit is already programmed for them. All I had to do was set the equalization periods and max voltage.

anyway mate Happy Nu Year, eh sit back for the arvo and get ya butt into IRC.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:44:20 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »
Hi Bryan, on my system the SP PRO is in control I think! as I understand it the MPPT's just do MPPT things, it all works but, there are fans available that don't make that much noise, they are under warranty so I no tough, I'm not saying they will be immune to bullets but for now.......

allan

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:01:22 PM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

halfcrazy

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
yes outback made the fans in the new fm series a lot louder downright annoying I think Robin and boB are making the Classic fan progressive the hotter it gets the faster it spins.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:45:09 AM by (unknown) »

boB

• boB
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:24:54 PM »

What is all the fan noise fuss about ??   Do people sleep with

their charge controllers ???   {:-)

We'll have to design a warm, fuzzy and cuddly charge controller next.

boB

PS, Allan, I'm not picking on you... Just having some fun.

Happy Gooey Bear !!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:24:54 PM by (unknown) »

Tritium

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:06:08 PM »
We'll have to design a warm, fuzzy and cuddly charge controller next.

boB

As long as it can spoon too!   :>)

Thurmond

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:06:08 PM by (unknown) »

SteveCH

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
I have a couple of MX 60s, is that what you are talking about? The fans are supposed to come on when the internal temp's in the controller reach whatever level. In my house, which is off-grid and 2 miles from the nearest neighbor and a mile from the nearest traveled road, things are very quiet. A friend who waxes poetic at times has described it as "seamless quiet." So we are especially aware of any "noise."

So, yes, when those fans come on, I can hear them a couple rooms away. However, they sound normal to me and I suspect that in a "usual" house with numerous noises they would be only a very minor addition to the soundscape, if that's a word.

The sound we get is simply a "fan blowing air" sound typical to something like a computer power supply fan if a bit louder than that. If you are hearing something other than that, I think you have a defective fan or one that is failing. There have been failures of these fans as I've read about on various forums. If it is a normal fan sound, it is normal. In my experience....

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:55:24 PM by (unknown) »

SteveCH

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
By the way, there is an Outback User's forum if you are not aware of that...... If you don't get the answer(s) you want or need, give them a look.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:59:47 PM by (unknown) »

boB

• boB
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 04:26:58 PM »
SteveCH said:

>The sound we get is simply a "fan blowing air" sound typical to something like a

>computer power supply fan if a bit louder than that. If you are hearing something

>other than that, I think you have a defective fan or one that is failing.

Or, it's blowing a LOT of air...  The newer FM80 has a much larger fan and is definitely noisier than the MX60 or FM60 fan.  It sure does the job though!

Going back to cuddle with my CC now...

boB

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:26:58 PM by (unknown) »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 03:58:12 AM »
Well, on the other side I won some Brownie Points from my SO when I managed to get rid of all the fans on all of my computers that ran at night.  I don't think they ever kept anyone awake, but they could be irritating.

I think that fans that are steady or something other than random fully on/off are easier on the blood pressure!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:58:12 AM by (unknown) »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 05:27:31 AM »
Don't forget to keep that cuddly pink fur out of the ventilation holes though!  B^>

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:27:31 AM by (unknown) »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social