Author Topic: AC-to-AC Transformer  (Read 1596 times)

(unknown)

AC-to-AC Transformer
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »
Can anybody see any potential problems with swapping out AC-to-AC transformers? I am considering using a transformer that is used by a security camera system, on a sprinkler system. In addition to powering the timer electronics, the power is used to open the sprinkler valves. The voltages match up, and the new transformer has a greater current output (830mA) than the old one (650mA).

With DC power supplies, switching can cause noise and interference. Is there any scenario in which the new AC transformer might be of a different type and cause problems? For example the new transformer was made to power electronics instead of mechanical actuators so pulsing might be an issue, or perhaps there are different AC transformer types that should not be swapped.  Is the E-I type the only ones found in a wall-wart, or are there other types of small AC-AC transformers? (Toroidals aren't used in wall-warts and there isn't an AC-AC equivalent of switching is there?)  Basically, I'm wondering what variables exist between transformers besides voltage and current output.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:04:41 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: AC-to-AC Transformer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:08:49 AM »
As long as the power and voltage ratings match the only other thing that might matter is the duty rating. Transformers for security cameras, a/c thermostats, sprinkler time clocks and the like are loaded 24/7/365. A transformer made for a door-bell isn't.

The transformer to open and close sprinkler valves remains loaded for long periods of time, so it is also probably "continuous duty" as well.

Cheap wall warts aren't rated for damp/wet places. either.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:08:49 AM by (unknown) »