Author Topic: 80mm shed 80 pipe for a 18 metre(60') tower  (Read 2376 times)

ruddycrazy

80mm shed 80 pipe for a 18 metre(60') tower
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:27:18 AM »
G'day Guys,
                 Today I chatted with the manager of a hydraulics company and asked about all those 6 metre lengths of that 80mm shed 80 pipe that has been sitting there for years. He said wait a minute, walked into the office then came out and said 'well next to nothing mate'. This pipe is brandnew but how would it go for a 18 metre (60') tower for my first dual axial flux genny I'm going to make. I'll intend to put 3 sets of guys and the gin pole will be 12 metres but as the height will be an issue I will need to get it past the council. So I'll need to do all the calc's and get an enginear to sign off which won't be a problem if I have done all the calc's and he just has to look them over and sign.

Now for that height is this 80mm pipe too thin on diameter or what ?

Cheers Bryan

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 80mm shed 80 pipe for a 18 metre(60') tower
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
It's marginal - I have 3" schedule 40 in my tower and it sags when I raise it.  Not to a worrying extent, but you are talking about a much taller tower than mine...

Can't beat the price - so I'd consider spending extra money on guy wires to steady it, plus lots of lift wires if you want yours to be tiltable.  Don't forget you need a gin pole at least 50% of the tower height and of roughly the same size.  Considering that, you could use 40' for the tower and 20' for the gin.  Now you've got a better match between the tower size and the materials.  I am assuming, of course, that you are talking about steel (there is such a thing as schedule 80 aluminum after all).

WT to go on top, maybe 6 feet max or so...

All off the top of my head.  I always say that the loads that make towers fail are the dynamic ones that are hard to figure out.  Gotta make your brain sweat over those problems, you can't just mix-and-match a safe product.  There's no recipie book for these things, either.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

halfcrazy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:00:02 PM »
I have a 10 foot turbine on a 80 ft tall tilt up tower. the tower is 3 inch schedule 40 the jin pole is 2.5 inch schedule 40. I have 4 sets of guys the first 3 sets are 1/4 the 4th set is 5/16 they are at 20ft 40ft 60ft and 75ft. We have raised and lowered it multiple times and it works super. I will be replacing it with a 80ft tower made of 6 inch schedule 40 with a 4 inch jin pole so it will hold my new 17footer I am working on.

freejuice

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
Hi Bryan,
 The pipe you are using is schedule 80 pipe...that is it's about twice the wall thickness of schedule 40 pipe?
 If I'm mistaken what is the actual wall thickness of the 80 mm pipe?
 I'm using 4 ihch schedule 40 pipe with a 11 footer at 60 feet, I have a set of of 1/4 inch cable guys at 19 feet, 38 feet and 51 feet, it's rock soild for my 11 footer, each anchor point has about 1200-1400 lbs of concrete at each anchor position, sitting in hard pan clay like soil. :)

HalfCrazy
 keep me posted on the 6 inch schedule 40,  17 footer.... :)