Author Topic: Alternator assembly question  (Read 1282 times)

Volvo farmer

Alternator assembly question
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
Howdy.

So on the 10' Danb design... I'm reassembling mine after getting an upgraded rotor and stators. I got the back rotor  and the stator bolted on, installed my jacking screws and started thinking... Is there a wrong way to install this front rotor?

I can't really see the magnets on the back rotor anymore but I can find the center of them by seeing where the screwdriver sticks to the rim best. 

So, is it possible to get this thing 90 degrees off? or are there 4 possibilities due to the 4 through bolts?. How do I assemble this thing correctly? It seemed easier to just ask then try and sort out in my mind how many ways 12 magnets can fit into a circle.

Thanks  ;D
Less bark, more wag.

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Alternator assembly question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »
Hi Bob ~ darnit, I probably never put index marks on those rotors for you.  (I may have.. though)
Looks for a little divet on each rotor that I might have made with a small drill bit - it'd be near the edge.  If you find those, then they should line up.

If they are not there... there are two possibilities with 12 magnets and 4 studs, you either get it dead right, or dead wrong (90 deg off).  If it's right, the rotors will attract one another, if it's wrong - they'll be in repulsion.  There are only two possibilities though...

You can also check with a magnet and make your own index marks.  The same pole of any magnet should attract to a magnet on one rotor, and repel the magnet that lines up on the other rotor.

If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.