Author Topic: Wire lenght, Thinhk got the right spot for this.....  (Read 1847 times)

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
Wire lenght, Thinhk got the right spot for this.....
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
I have a 5000 watt generator head and a 10,000.  What is the length I can run wires from the gen head???

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Wire lenght, Thinhk got the right spot for this.....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
I have a 5000 watt generator head and a 10,000.  What is the length I can run wires from the gen head???

First, a few questions:

At What Voltage?

At full rated power draw?

How far do you need to go or would like to be able to go?

And how much copper can you afford to buy?

Basically and within  reason you can run that power any sensible  distance with a big enough cable. That is the how much copper can you afford part.

The rest we cannot even speculate on until we know the volts and distance involved. From there we can do some math and give you an answer on what size cable you need to go for how long a run. That is the "more information" part.

So for your initial question the only answer we can provide is "It Depends .."

Good luck with it.

Tom

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
Sorry about that, I realized what I was asking was too vague on the info.  It will be 220 at 30amps going to a fuse box to power my house and then back to the grid.  I was going to use 100amp wire, Distance will be around 50 to 200 feet.  I know there is going to be some power loss in the wire.  It all depends on how loud my generater going to be on my steam turbine that I built.  I am in the process of getting it up for a trial run.  Depending on how much noise it makes depends on how far it is going to be away. 

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:20:36 PM »
It will be 220 at 30amps going to a fuse box to power my house and then back to the grid.

How do you plan to do that with a gen head?

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »
My buddy that owns a machine shop, we worked on makeing a wheel similar to a water generator.  The hot steam will basically spray at the wheel, the wheel then turns a very easy gear box so I get the right speed at the generator.  He had made one before.  It work great for his application.  Had a small boiler the was wood fed and he ran the steam gen for 12 then shut down.  Did that day after day when he was at his shop.  He ran a 8,000 watt gen.  So that is why I am trying to figure out how far I can run the wire from that back to my house to use the power from that and when I do not use sell back to the grid.

kurt

• website
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
you cannot grid tie a normal 120v/220v gen head without special equipment to synchronize the frequency with the grid and i doubt if the power company is going to approve a grid tie setup for such a setup anyway you would have to contact them and find out there rules for grid tie. if you just hook a normal gen head up to your breaker panel start it and throw the switch connecting it to mains power your gonna need the fire department most likely.

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:57:01 PM »
I am sorry I just talked to him and he had a 48volt system with a inverter.  I appoligize for my stupidity.  I will do some searching of the board to find my wire size and length for a 48volt system.  I appoligize again.  His other gen was something totally different.  So I guess I put my gen head back on the self.  I feel like an ass, I should have know that.  I guess it was a duh moment.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:01:44 PM by harley1782000 »