Author Topic: Elmers Wood Glue Now Chinese  (Read 756 times)

freejuice

Elmers Wood Glue Now Chinese
« on: May 01, 2010, 05:15:49 AM »
I know at sometimes we have to buy chinese products but some can still be avoided:
Yep, Just read where Elmers glue...the stuff we all grew up with, will now be made in China...including their wood glue. >:(
Titebond and Gorilla Glue will still be made in the USA.
 I understand Titebond sets up faster, but I guess I will have to move a bit faster when gluing up a set of blades...I sure as heck wouldnt want a lot of work to start delaminating.
 To  H_LL with a company who wants to save 3-5 cents on a bottle of glue....that's telling me they dont give a rat's behind about their product

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:18:00 AM by freejuice »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Elmers Wood Glue Now Chinese
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
Maybe there are more slow horses in China now than the US.

Roses are red, violets are blue
Horses that lose are made into glue.

freejuice

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »
Slow horses maybe, but as those blades delaminate, thowing spears everywhere, it will be a Chinese machine of death ;D
 " You Die Yankee Imperiaist American dog!" :o

farmer56

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »
Slow horses maybe, but as those blades delaminate, thowing spears everywhere, it will be a Chinese machine of death ;D
 " You Die Yankee Imperiaist American dog!" :o

Don't worry, when all Chinese products around you start falling apart spontaneously, wooden spears won't seem that bad.  ;D

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »
Folks said this same basic stuff about Japan after WWII (The big one). And it was true for awhile until they sorted out things. It seems that they got pretty good at building some stuff. I like "Made in the UISA" up til around the 1970's but it seems that since then our abilities in manufacturing have waned. Like we forgot or don't care. "We" meaning  how it is done in our name. Anyway. Don't sell the Chinese short they seem to be working hard educating people and growing while we are turning out low numbers in both areas.

Sorry this is a diversion but you have to look to the past to see the future.

Tom

freejuice

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 09:12:03 PM »
Tom,
 No problem, no diverson at all :)
Yes I know what you mean by looking into the past....that's what I tell those college kids in those history classes I teach.....yes, even with all the typos I have....but hey, thank God for spell checker!
 I grew up having history all around me, my mom was in London during the Blitz and many of my relatives here in the good ol' U.S.of A were in the PTO and ETO.

I don't think Americans have forgotten how to manufacture anything....it's just that globalization is luring anything made in America off shore for the quick buck. It will be topsy-turvy until equilibrium is established, in which a person with a certain skill set makes the same amount as anyone else in the world regardless if they live in Peru, South Africa, Guatemala, US, France, etc etc.

But I do wonder how fast the Chinese can catch up to the Japanese level of quality, in big ticket items such as cars.
 Sure they have done pretty good in the machine tool industry and they are making inroads everywhere, but it appears many Chinese mfg firms are more concerned about pulling a fast one on the consumer with shoddy items, instead of tacking quality head on like the Japanese did from about the late 1960's onward.

Just the other day I bought a power planer off of Ebay..or feebay as you say. :D
 Well that thing was a cheap-o and of course it was Chinese...it lasted a total of about 30 mins before a cheap rubber belt crapped out...well of course you can't find a replacement belt anywhere and the information inside and outside of the box was not about to say where you could get spare parts for junk....I threw the thing in the trash can and went and dropped a Benjamin on a Bosch power planer, well worth it more torque, not made in America but hey the quality was much better its even quieter and has a nice blade adjustment knob with very positive spring detent indexing for blade depth....it doesn't gouge the wood as you leave the board end....the geometry of the handle helps you to keep the plane flat as you leave the board end.
 If nobody has a power planer yet, but is looking for one, check out a Bosch

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
About Elmers going offshore - if they sell 80% of that particular product line on that side of the ocean its just being planet friendly to not waste the resources shipping bottles of 96% water there, why not ship the 20% here. Elmers has many other product lines other than white glue that are still made in USA...