Author Topic: s809 profile idea  (Read 8593 times)

bob golding

s809 profile idea
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
been following  the discussions on this profile and i have had an idea. why not add a airfoil profile to the front of a flat faced blade? easily done by gluing foam to the front face of the blade. anyone see anything i might have missed? there was link to a free program that let you design blade profiles but  cant remember what it was called. was a while ago 4/5 years?
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: s809 profile idea
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
been following  the discussions on this profile and i have had an idea. why not add a airfoil profile to the front of a flat faced blade? easily done by gluing foam to the front face of the blade. anyone see anything i might have missed? there was link to a free program that let you design blade profiles but  cant remember what it was called. was a while ago 4/5 years?

I think there's a way to make the S809 airfoil, perhaps what you mentioned would work.  But it's a very complicated and unforgiving shape and getting the curve and trailing edge cup just right on the wind-side face of of the blades might be a challenge.

You can just about get away with murder with flat faced blades.  As long as you got some sort of hump on the other side they'll create lift and run.  S809's create their low wind lift with that "cup" on the trailing edge and from what I've studied it has to be exact or all you got is big paddles that won't work.  Also, as is obvious comparing the PowerMax to WindMax blades, there's different ways to apply the S809 airfoil - you can have it slim, medium TSR, very noisy, and very low drag like the PowerMax blades - or fatter, quieter and better suited to high winds like the WindMax.

I think it would take some experimentation.
--
Chris

bob golding

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
found this which should keep me busy for a while. its interesting that the way this profile works from the results chris is getting  does seem to follow the CFD calculations. do your s809s have the same twist as dan or hugh type blades?

link to nasa site
https://www.nas.nasa.gov/Main/Features/2000/Spring/turbine3.html

bob golding
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:16:37 PM »
found this which should keep me busy for a while. its interesting that the way this profile works from the results chris is getting  does seem to follow the CFD calculations. do your s809s have the same twist as dan or hugh type blades?

I got two different S809 blades - the PowerMax ones and the WindMax ones.  The PowerMax blades have considerably more twist than the WindMax. My guess is 18-20 degrees of pitch at the root and maybe 1 - 1.5 degrees at the tip.  The PowerMax airfoil is thinner and has more taper - on the 13 foot blades they're about 10.5" wide at the root and about 4" wide at the tip.

The WindMax 13's have less taper - they're not as wide at the root and they're wider at the tip.  They're also fatter and have less twist.  I'd guess about the same 1 - 1.5 degrees at the tip and maybe around 10 degrees at the root.

The PowerMax blades, in my experience, have a wider power band - but they are very weird compared to what most people are used to in flat face.  They'll happily run at a 5 TSR under heavy load in low winds - in fact, they refuse to spin up beyond that in low winds.  But once the wind picks up the TSR climbs and to get the optimum out of them your generator needs to let them spin at 6 TSR around 18-20 mph, and 6.5 TSR is even a bit better if you can live with the later cut-in.  They are VERY noisy - they sound like somebody whipping three big cables thru the air at 200 mph in higher winds.

The WindMax S809's don't seem to put out the low end raw torque of the PowerMax ones.  But once the wind gets blowing at 10-12+ they'll match the PowerMax blades in output, and maybe even exceed the PowerMax performance at 25-30 mph with a generator wound for a 6 TSR blade.

The PowerMax blades are high-quality, they come balanced, and with a gloss white finish.  All you have to do is sand them a bit if you want to paint them a different color - and bolt them on.  They are strong - you can lay a 13 foot blade across two sawhorses, climb up on the blade and jump on it - it'll bend 30 degrees with my 200 lbs jumping on it and it won't break or crack.  Those blades will outlast the turbine they're bolted to.

The WindMax blades take a lot of work.  They come with big ugly seam lines hanging out the leading edge that have to be sanded down.  And when you sand them you'll find voids in the fiberglass that have to be repaired.  On the 9.3 WindMax blades that I got I had to hang almost a pound of weight on one blade to balance them.  They are cheaper than the PowerMax ones and my guess is that if you get two years out of a set you'll be doing pretty good and then they're going to start coming apart.

Attached is three photos - the first is of the 8 foot PowerMax blades that I bought, just as they came out of the box.  The second photo is the PowerMax blades on my 10 foot turbine when I took it down and replaced it with a 13.  The third photo is a set of 13 foot WindMax blades after I got them finished - you can see right away the difference in the design even though they use the same airfoil.  The PowerMax blades need to run at higher TSR if you're looking for max performance - they're designed for it.  While the WindMax blades resemble big paddles, the PowerMax blades have more curves than a hot babe, and they look as good too.

One thing to note about the size of these blades - they must use a Chinese tape measure of some sort to measure the 13 foot WindMax blades because they're actually about 12.5 feet on my hub.  The PowerMax 13.1's measure exactly 13 feet on my hub.

Building a generator for the PowerMax blades is a bit of a mystery.  I've found that winding for a 6.0 TSR is about the optimum.  They'll cut in just a tiny bit later than you'd like, but there's no power in those low winds anyway.  And they'll deliver awesome performance at about 18-20 mph.  Above 20 they seem to peter right out and just don't put out any more power.  However, and this is a BIG however - if you wind your generator to let those blades spin at 7-7.5 TSR in high winds you'd better be prepared to be winding new generators every time the wind blows.  If you let those blades come to life at 24-30 mph wind they cannot be stopped.  They'll lug down to about a 6 TSR and they will just PULL.  The shorting switch should be labeled the Mass Destruction Switch, or maybe the Mass Meltdown Switch if you try to shut one down that's spinning at that speed.  BTDT, and ever since I've learned to keep them stalled in higher winds or you'll have a runaway.

The WindMax blades don't appear to do that - they don't like to run at 7 TSR.  5-6 is all they'll do under load, and they may get to 8.5 TSR or so with no load.  I think they're too fat, to wide of a tip and too much drag to run at high TSR.  OTOH, if you remove the load from a PowerMax rotor that's running fully loaded at 18-20 mph it's like somebody threw the Turbo Boost Switch and plugged off the wastegate with a wad of silly-putty - those blades will hit scary rpm's within about 1/2 of a second.  They light up like instantaneously - it's no gradual deal.  if you don't have your magnets pinned to the genny rotors you'll be searching for your magnets in the next county.  BTDT too.

Hope that explains what I've discovered about these blades.  My conclusion after trying both of these commercially available blades is that for $285 for a set of 13 foot PowerMax blades, and the gain you get in performance vs flat-face, you can't mess around carving wood blades.  I think the quality fiberglass blades are safer and stronger, they require less maintenance over the long run than wood, and they are not affected by moisture.  If you have nothing else to do I suppose you could try to make them yourself.  But getting this airfoil exact, according to what I've studied, is not an easy thing to do.  It won't run at high angles of attack like flat face will, and continue to work.  And the exact curvature of the wind-facing side is very important to how they work.  I suppose you could buy one, measure it up and enter the coords to machine them with CNC.  But again, for $285 for a set of 13's, why even bother?
--
Chris

Beaufort

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:58:52 AM »
I've been working with the S809 profile after reading about Chris's successes, and have found the same characteristics that he describes here.  To make one out of wood would probably require making some profile templates every 4-6 inches along the blade to get all the curves just right.  I wouldn't recommend gluing another piece onto a flat-face blade, I don't see how this would last over time and flexing.  If it let go...it would be pretty dangerous.

Someone really should make up a set for one of the "standard" alternator sizes to see how it performs against the standard plank design.  Then people can decide if it's worth the extra time to carve something like this.  I'd wager that it will pick up substantial gains in low winds and turbulent conditions versus the flat-face, but the gains would go away past 15 mph.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »
I'd wager that it will pick up substantial gains in low winds and turbulent conditions versus the flat-face, but the gains would go away past 15 mph.

I know they would.  You need a generator that is fairly "tight" at lower wind speeds to get the most out of them, and then you need a "loose" generator in higher wind speeds to let them spin at higher TSR or they just go into stall over about 20 mph.  How to build that variable generator is somewhat of a mystery, and I haven't quite found the right combination yet in winding generators for those S809 blades to get them to perform over the whole range of wind speeds.

I think the answer lies in a variable pitch system for them.  I built a variable pitch hub and tried it with my old flat-faced blades and it didn't work as I expected.  I might try that again with these S809's as time permits.  But fishin' season is here now and I got priorities   :)
--
Chris

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »
Every profile has its own characteristics. If you can match it it will work well if you can't then it won't.

I suspect that when properly matched there is very little difference between the high lift profiles and the usual flat face ones. If you don't have any method of matching then the profile that suits your alternator characteristic will work out best.

Chris seems to have found ways to change his alternator characteristics to suit the blades. If you just change blades on an existing alternator you may be disappointed or it may be a fantastic success.

One thing is certain the high lift profiles need to be built very precisely to the published profile. You probably need a CNC router to get it near enough to get the full benefit. You also need stable timber that won't change profile with moisture content.

I have found matching makes more difference than profile, but once you have a means of exact matching then there may be more to be had from better profiles. For the normal user with no means of matching i suspect the gain will usually be minimal.

Flux

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:27:31 PM »
One thing is certain the high lift profiles need to be built very precisely to the published profile. You probably need a CNC router to get it near enough to get the full benefit. You also need stable timber that won't change profile with moisture content.

This is absolute, Flux.  The NREL "S" airfoils are very unforgiving in mistakes in building them.  The back side of the airfoil is easy to build.  The wind-facing side has to be pretty exact.  From what I've studied about it, changes of 2 degrees of camber in that leading side of the airfoil - not even hardly perceptible using templates - makes the difference between it working and not working.  I think it would be difficult at best to hand carve and get it right.  CNC would be much more reliable - and then you need to use a material that won't change with time, like fiberglass.

I just don't think wood would be a good material to use.  There's a reason all the Big Boys use fiberglass composite blades instead of wood.
--
Chris

Beaufort

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »

I know they would.  You need a generator that is fairly "tight" at lower wind speeds to get the most out of them, and then you need a "loose" generator in higher wind speeds to let them spin at higher TSR or they just go into stall over about 20 mph.  How to
--
Chris

Good point, Chris.  I've found success with Star-Delta switching on an alternator with more turns and bigger wire.  It tightens up (I like that term) just like you say as the low winds increase and then the Delta switch is like throwing the machine into 2nd gear.  Boost converters would probably handle the loading curve a bit better, but I'm more comfortable with low-tech electronics.  The output with the S809 in Star mode at speeds less than 15 mph seem pretty good compared to known power curves people are getting with the standard profiles. 

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »
I suspect your star/delta is a good choice. For the flat faced blades any attempt at very low cut in speeds brings you into stall in star early on and you may not get as much benefit as you should. The 7/15mph region is hard to match as the curve is so flat. When you get into delta the curve is much nearer that of the prop.

Your profile probably makes things less affected by stall in the critical low wind region . Invariably there is much to gain by changing gear for the higher winds. The main criticism of star delta is they you spend far too much time in the wrong gear but it quite a step forward from direct connection.

I really don't see any electrical way to get the ideal characteristic without voltage conversion or tap changing. You can alter the load matching by various tricks but the best scheme must reduce the effective turns and resistance to keep the efficiency right up.

You can gain a lot from prop matching even by loosing electrical efficiency but for the ultimate you need the highest aerodynamic and electrical efficiencies.

Flux

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 09:00:42 PM »
You can gain a lot from prop matching even by loosing electrical efficiency but for the ultimate you need the highest aerodynamic and electrical efficiencies.

That's what I've been trying to obtain for these blades and I've come closer than when I first started using them, but there's room for improvement.

Just to illustrate the difference in design, using the same airfoil, I just completed two different tests on these blades in my spare time.  I recently bought two sets of WindMax blades - 13's and 9's.  I bought them because they were dirt cheap and I wanted to test them against the PowerMax blades to see if the PowerMax blades' higher cost is worth it compared to the extra work you have to put into the cheaper blades.  One of the guys on this forum has also tried both in the 10 foot size and feels that the Windmax blades hold a slight edge in power output in higher winds (which, come to find out, they do).  But I had to try it for myself just to satisfy my curiosity.

I ran two different tests at different times comparing the 9.3 WindMax blades to the 8.5 PowerMax on the same turbine in very windy, gusty conditions.  And, being I got rained out again today and couldn't work, I decided to run the same test on my 13 over two two hour periods with each set of blades.  The winds were gentler today, but still blowing at 15-25 with gusts to 30 mph.  It was a little hairy raising and lowering tower twice but it was doable.

At any rate, the 8.5 PowerMax blades beat the WindMax 9.3's by 6.4 amp-hours on my Doc Wattson over the two hour tests - and the 9.3's actually had the better wind speeds with some gusts to 60 mph (this was yesterday).  For the 8.5's I adjusted the air gap to let it run at around 7 TSR.  For the 9.3's I tightened it up a bit so it ran at about 6.5 TSR.  I've found those tip speed ratios to be about the optimum for each blade after running the the WindMax ones for the last couple of weeks.

So a smaller rotor beating a bigger rotor, I thought, was pretty impressive.  I didn't pay any attention to the peak amps when I cleared the Doc Wattson - what I was interested in was amp-hours or kWh because that's what ultimately gets the work done.  Peak amps are fun to brag about but they don't mean much.

On the 13's today the PowerMax blades beat the WindMax blades by a whopping 11.4 amp-hours.  I didn't change the generator at all for each blades' two hour test because they're within a few inches of the same diameter and the PowerMax blades that I had been running on it run at about 6.5 TSR - so I figured the WindMax blades should too.

My conclusion is that even though these blades use the same airfoil, the different shape (more blade taper, higher root pitch and thinner cross section of the airfoil) gives the PowerMax blades an advantage.  I think they seem to maintain a more constant speed in varying winds.  They go into stall a bit quicker than the WindMax ones when the gusts really hit (so the WindMax blades continue to put out more power in those big gusts), but they don't drop off in power output when the wind lets up like the WindMax ones do.  My theory is that the fatter airfoil of the WindMax blades creates more drag and they're less efficient so they slow down quicker when the wind lets up - and that's where the PowerMax blades made their extra amp-hours.  Not in the big winds, but the more moderate lulls of 15-18 mph when the PowerMax blades were still putting out 9-12 amps while the WindMax ones would drop off to 7 or 8 amps.

I just thought I'd pass this along because if anybody is going to try to make S809 blades, my opinion is that the PowerMax blades are the ones you should try to copy.  It would be kind of fun to test some PowerMax blades against flat-face, but I don't have a decent set of flat-face blades around here of the right size.  The only thing I got that's close is a set of 7.6's and I already know without even trying it that those 7 foot NACA 4415 blades are no match for 8.5 PowerMax's.

But I do think the WindMax blades are closer to what people are used to in flat-faced profiles.  They're even sort of built like typical flat-face blades with a moderate amount of taper and twist, pretty fat (cross section), about the same pitch as most homebrew blades - just a different airfoil shape.
--
Chris

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:36 AM »
I am sure you are right. I have always found thinner sections to work better.

The fat section will have similar lift but in the end it is lit/drag ratio that matters. You can set a flat faced blade to get similar high lifts but its lift/drag ratio suffers.  The high lift profiles will let you work with more lift for a given drag but even so the fat ones will probably not reach the lower drag levels of the thinner ones.

The fat sections seem better adapted to the fixed speed operation of induction generators, theses make their power in low wind and the better they stall in high wind the easier they are to control.

Flux

Beaufort

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »

The fat sections seem better adapted to the fixed speed operation of induction generators, theses make their power in low wind and the better they stall in high wind the easier they are to control.

Very, very good point.  Hence the number of commercial machines using the S809 profile and variable pitch.  I agree that thinner sections seem to have less drag versus lift for higher relative blade speeds (factoring in TSR and position along the blade...if this makes sense).  My current profile uses this theory and begins with a pure S809 at the root with a nice cusp, and then blends into something more like the NACA12XX series about half-way down the blade.  The chord is reduced by a few %, and by the time you get to the tip the chord is pretty close to that of the flat-face profiles.  At the speeds and angle of attack near the tip for these small machines, there isn't much the cusp of the S809 will do aside from trailling edge drag.  It makes for a gnarly-looking blade with the taper and twist. 

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
My current profile uses this theory and begins with a pure S809 at the root with a nice cusp, and then blends into something more like the NACA12XX series about half-way down the blade.  The chord is reduced by a few %, and by the time you get to the tip the chord is pretty close to that of the flat-face profiles.  At the speeds and angle of attack near the tip for these small machines, there isn't much the cusp of the S809 will do aside from trailling edge drag.

I'm not sure I follow you here.  If I understand the S809 correctly, it uses that cusp (I like that term) to generate a "bubble" of low pressure air, if you will on the trailing edge, and that bubble of turbulence causes the air over the lift side of the airfoil to have to travel further, generating the lift.  AFAIK, all the NREL S-series airfoils work this way - the shape of the airfoil causes that low pressure area at the tailing edge that modifies how the air flows over the lift side of it.  If you examine an S809 blade closely you see that the more pitch angle there is on the blade station, the more angle there is to that cusp so the trailing edge of it is always in the same plane as the blade rotates.

Out near the tip of a S809 blade, the cusp is barely noticeable because the pitch angle is very low.  Near the root the cusp is quite noticeable because of the higher pitch angle at that blade station.

There's certainly a lot of data on the S809 available from the NREL's website, but I think you have to be an aerodynamics expert to understand most of it because I certainly don't understand the majority of it.
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
It makes for a gnarly-looking blade with the taper and twist. 

I just don't have any of these blades on the ground right now - they're all on the towers.  I got two sets of WindMax blades on the ground but they're totally different - the PowerMax blades are closer to what you see on utility-scale machines.

I put the digital camera on zoom and tried to capture a picture of that "cusp" on my 10 foot, which is stationary right now with no wind.  It didn't turn out like I expected but you can see the radical amount of twist in those blades.  I'm pretty sure the root is somewhere around 18-20 degrees of pitch.

At any rate, the shape of these blades is so complicated that I highly doubt anybody but a very skilled workworker could ever carve one and get it to work properly.  And I don't think wood is the right material anyway.  You could probably lay up fiberglass blanks and machine the blanks with CNC.  I'm pretty sure the NREL has the airfoil coordinate data for various S809 blades on their website to do that.
--
Chris

Beaufort

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »
I'm not sure I follow you here.  If I understand the S809 correctly, it uses that cusp (I like that term) to generate a "bubble" of low pressure air, if you will on the trailing edge, and that bubble of turbulence causes the air over the lift side of the airfoil to have to travel further, generating the lift.  AFAIK, all the NREL S-series airfoils work this way - the shape of the airfoil causes that low pressure area at the tailing edge that modifies how the air flows over the lift side of it.  If you examine an S809 blade closely you see that the more pitch angle there is on the blade station, the more angle there is to that cusp so the trailing edge of it is always in the same plane as the blade rotates.
--
Chris

I just scaled a base S809 profile I pulled from somewhere, and then played with the ratios until it looked good...not very scientific I admit, but it seems to work well.  I think of the aerodynamics of a blade more in terms of pressures that are caused by airflow and drag forces along the length of the profile.  For my thinking, the cusp seems to act like the flaps on an airplane and causes higher pressure on the "bottom".  I could be all wrong about it.  I've attached a series of cross sections for what I'm using right now. 

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »
I just scaled a base S809 profile I pulled from somewhere, and then played with the ratios until it looked good...not very scientific I admit, but it seems to work well.  I think of the aerodynamics of a blade more in terms of pressures that are caused by airflow and drag forces along the length of the profile.  For my thinking, the cusp seems to act like the flaps on an airplane and causes higher pressure on the "bottom".  I could be all wrong about it.  I've attached a series of cross sections for what I'm using right now. 

That is indeed very interesting.  I suppose that cusp does act as sort of a wing flap.

But what I don't understand about the S809 is this - I have taken a piece of masking tape and stick it to the blade.  I carefully cut it with a razor blade at the center of the leading edge and at the trailing edge.  Then I peel the tape off and stick it to the other side of the blade and the length is exactly the same.

Ok, a flat-face blade creates lift by causing the air to flow further over the curved part, creating a low pressure area over the curved part of the blade.  The flat-face will create lift at zero angle of attack.  The S809 creates no lift at zero AOT and it has very, very low drag at zero AOT.  At 4 degrees AOT (optimum) the S809 has a higher lift/drag ratio than a comparable flat-face has at any AOT from 0 to 14 degrees.

In studying how I could go about building these blades myself when I first started using them, I figured out that the "cusp" changes its trailing edge angle at every station along the airfoil to give that 4 degrees of optimum AOT at the design TSR of the blade.  And that's when I gave up on trying to come up with a way to build them.  The maximum AOT of the S809 is 10 degrees and then it goes into stall.  So you can play with that cusp a little bit to get a blade that would otherwise run at 6 TSR to get it to run at 5 TSR optimum, or go the other way and make it run at 7 TSR optimum.  They call these "tuned" blades a "modified S809".

But a blade that's made to run at 6 TSR will run at 5 anyway at higher AOT.  It will also run at 9 or 10 TSR at a very low AOT, but they don't put out much power at that high TSR.

The S809 seems to perform at its best when you run them right at that 4 degrees angle of attack, which works out to a 6.5 TSR.  They advertise them as running at 6 TSR fully loaded, but I've found they're just on the edge of stall at 6 TSR.  If you let them spin at 7-7.5 they put out good power but they'll pull down to that 6.5 TSR and then really put the twist to the shaft when you load them.  They just hang right in there once they pull down and that's where you need that variable generator - you could put a couple extra turns in at that point and they'll handle it - they'll just push a little more voltage, and more power.

Like I said before, they're a really weird blade to wind a generator for.  To get the most out of them I've either overwound my generators (compared to what's "normal" with flat-face), or run a slightly tighter air gap than a comparable flat-face.  And by doing either of those, when they hit their peak at around 18-20 mph they push a higher voltage (because of either the extra turns or tighter air gap) than the flat-face blades and that's where you get the extra 10-12% of power out of them.  Finding that exact combination has been the challenge.  I've found it's easier to overwind and open up the air gap to tune, than to underwind and not be able to get the generator tight enough to pull them down to their optimum TSR.
--
Chris

Beaufort

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
Chris, that's all great information.  I didn't realize a bunch of the things you've found and it helps me understand how to use this profile.  I wasn't able to find the optimum AOT, and guessed at 4 degrees which matches what you've found.  I went back and checked my test data and it seems my TSR's are much lower than the ones you report for maximum power.  I cut in at TSR 6.5 to 7 in Star and it falls down to about 4 when I kick in the Delta switch at 15 mph, bringing the TSR back up to 6.5. 

I'll have to check my data against the stall AOT you list of 10 degrees....again, I wasn't able to find that explicitly stated anywhere out there on the web.  I like to plot my test data as a function of the conditions at multiple points along the blade, so I can see if certain regions are going into stall where others continue to push the blade along.  So for example, all points along the blade may be within the flight envelope at cutin and then as the windspeed increases, the root will go into stall and contribute more drag power as opposed to lift.  This way upper-end stall can be controlled somewhat while maximizing power output in a given region of windspeed. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »
Before Beafort goes too far down the road with the "Angle of Twist" idea, I'd like to point out why blades have twist in the first place.  Chris doesn't seem to have mentioned it and his simple "rule of thumb" doesn't really explain why a blade would be twisted.  I can try, but Hugh does it much better, so I will start there:

http://www.scoraigwind.com/wpNotes/index.htm
http://www.scoraigwind.com/liselotte/index.htm

After reading that, you will notice that there isn't a single "recipie" for twist.  There is an optimum twist for any given TSR and Diameter, that's all.  You can deviate from it if you want, often without suffering much penalty, if you're careful.  My blades have lots of twist because I think it looks great, not because it helps start-up.  Yes, in hindsight I do get that benefit, but honestly I just like lots of curves!

A few tips that I can offer:

Sharp leading edges stall more abruptyly than blunt-round leading edges.  Stall is good for speed regulation so consider this as a + and -
Surface smoothness is 10x more important than airfoil profile.  I could go on about "Reynolds Number" but this isn't the place.
Sharp trailing edges keep the drag down.  Make them as knife-edged as possible.
Twist is easy to calculate once you understand it, but let the available material decide how far you go with the twist at the root.

A lot more has been written than I could put down here, so I'll just stop here.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 12:22:46 PM »
After reading that, you will notice that there isn't a single "recipie" for twist.

This is true and it's somewhat obvious by looking at the differences between the WindMax S809 and the PowerMax S809.  The radical amount of twist in the PowerMax blades, and hence the radical pitch angle at the root, takes away from their high wind performance because the root area goes into stall in high winds.

But the root is moving quite slowly compared to the middle and tip sections, and those outer portions of the blades take over and do all the work at those higher wind speeds.  I think it's also why the PowerMax is so noisy at higher wind speeds and TSR's.  The advantage the PowerMax seems to have is that it has a wider power band - they'll pull like a diesel on the low end and sort of level off at 18-20 mph wind and sort of stay there, not increasing power, but not losing either.  The WindMax blade has no low end torque to speak of and doesn't really get spinning until about 10 mph, then slowly increases in power as the wind picks up.

On the same generator I've found the WindMax wins in high winds.  The PowerMax wins in low and midrange wind speeds.  BUT - you CAN open the generator up and let those PowerMax blades run at high TSR's (like 7.5) and they will match the WindMax blades in the higher winds at the expense of the rotor sounding like somebody whipping three steel cables thru the air at 200 mph.

They're fun to play with but I've sort of settled on extracting the most out of them in our average wind speeds, which is 12-18 mph, and settle for what I get in the screaming winds.
--
Chris