Author Topic: This is my veggy oil baby  (Read 7657 times)

Devo2

This is my veggy oil baby
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:24:39 PM »
Got this a while ago & built a shed with skids from work. These things are great!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:02:41 PM by kurt »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: This is my veggy oil baby
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
Devo2;
 That IS a beauty!! Do tell more about both
The veggie usage and the Lister.
As they use to say "Inquiring minds What to hear" ;D
Do you use WVO, if so what filter method are you using? the 1st filter stage denim? etc

Cheers!
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:09 PM »
nice!

How many HP and how many watts are you getting?
Awhile back I read something about some bio fuels shortening the life the pistons?

What RPM does it run, and how loud?

how about a video with audio?

ax7
Mark

Devo2

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »
  It is a 6/1 listeroid I have had it run 2 1500 watt heaters at the most so 3000 watts.  I use veggy oil heated then filtered through  a bed sheet. Then it goes down the copper around the exhaust & straight in. I currently have the fual tank off to re do the copper & draw more heat. I am also going to run an in line filter.  I have heard it will run WMO but I run Veggy. In the winter I ran a rad in the kitchen blowing heat into the house.

If a person lived where it was legal to burn waste oil I would recommend used tranny fluid as it has no to little chance of prestone,water,sludge etc. & has a lower flash point so it shouldn't need to be as hot. I have read people add 1 ounce of acetone to 5 gallons of used oil to reduce the surface tension giving a better burn. I'm not sure if this works or not.

I will post a picture of the fuel pre heater when it is finished.

Devin

jclaudii

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
did I miss the pictures?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »
did I miss the pictures?
Some of them are getting loaded at the bottom of the posts. Look for the *.jpg.
You should be able to click on it and see the pic.

Cheers
Bruce S

kurt

• website
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:25 PM »
whenever i see one that would better fit in the story i go ahead and make it display in the story for them just makes it easier on everyone and only takes a second.

Devo2

Fuel pre-heater
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »
Finally finished the pre-heat pipe for veggie oil, just have to wrap it.  Here is a pic.

i inserted your photo (this is the second time in this thread) you mite wanna go read the photo posting sticky in site news so you can make them display yourself.
Kurt

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:26:13 PM by kurt »

joe4324

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 11:33:56 PM »
I have a similar setup,  I'll post pictures soon as I make it look pretty :)

I recommend you completely remove the stock fuel filter, I got so annoyed trying to find filters for it and take it on and off without spilling a pint of oil each time.   I'm filtering to 10 micron then dumping it straight into the stock tank.  I'm using cheap $5 clear inline paper filters (think big riding mower filters)  Being paper they will crud up pretty fast.  But thats okay since they are cheap and they catch alot more crud than the plastic mesh filters you'd usually see.   

I'm willing to bet its a standard 3/8" pipe thread to replace the 'banjo' bolt that is connected to the steel hose.  So you can thread almost anything you like in there.  If you have trouble getting a good seal you can use copper/alu washers to pinch off any leaks.   If you do this just be mindful of the filters getting clogged and worst case the injection pump pulling enough vacuum to pinch/crush the the rubber house and cut off the fuel.   It will starve for fuel and putter out.

I've logged a few hundred hours now on a very similar setup!  looks awesome! :)

Your motor is more classy than mine,  Mine is the 1929 clone (I think), I think this one is older?

And sorry if you did by-pass the stock filter already.

Devo2

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
Kurt-thanks for the picture(it's appreciated),I'll do a little reading. Joe 4324, I do bypass the original filter, I run the hydraulic oil filter you see after the plastic tank. Filtered to 3 micron.  I was going to get rid of the intake tube that attaches to the pump but I thought it wasn't pipe thread-I'll have to double check now.  What do guys do with the return line? plug it or run it back to the new tank?

I took the tape off the exhaust wrap & moved the pipe away from the exhaust a bit. This cured the air lock but the fuel isn't as hot anymore. When I had the tubing taped against the exhaust it shook like crazy, could this have caused the air lock & not excessive heat?

Devin   

comp

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:25:22 AM »
very cool,,,yes to More pics,,also of the skid shed i need to do one and would love to see ,,thanks

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
Kurt-thanks for the picture(it's appreciated),I'll do a little reading. Joe 4324, I do bypass the original filter, I run the hydraulic oil filter you see after the plastic tank. Filtered to 3 micron.  I was going to get rid of the intake tube that attaches to the pump but I thought it wasn't pipe thread-I'll have to double check now.  What do guys do with the return line? plug it or run it back to the new tank?

I took the tape off the exhaust wrap & moved the pipe away from the exhaust a bit. This cured the air lock but the fuel isn't as hot anymore. When I had the tubing taped against the exhaust it shook like crazy, could this have caused the air lock & not excessive heat?

Devin   
Devo2
IF there was a lot of air & or water bubbles in the veggie then it could've added to the problem, but I'm certain you would've seen other problems other than just a vapor-lock. Try using some heat transfer ideas similar to the solar air heating methods. You could use metal fins that attach to both the exhaust and the oil so there's not so much heat transferred to the oil. OR have less of the fuel lines next to the exhaust.

The return line really should go back to the fuel source IMO. This would help with a couple things. Continuous pre-warmed fuel, lower viscosity of oil, de-watering<-? if there is any stubborn bubbles.

Cheers;
Bruce S     

JimB

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 01:23:01 PM »
You should use the coolant water to warm the oil. It is much more consistant heat and what is used on all automotive conversions. It will also eliminate the vibration issues. I have a similar 6/1 Listeroid (Metro) with a 5kw ST head. Eventually my waste heat will go into my floor slab.

Devo2

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:27:16 AM »
  Yeah I was going to go with the coolant but I try to use as much of it as possible for indoor winter heating & the exhaust heat is just going outside, I think most my problem was Vibration & moisture in the fuel that was vapourizing with the extra heat. It has been good since I unhooked it from the exhaust pipe & just kept it close.  Hasn't ran for a few weeks but I am going to run it hard over the next month.

Devin