Author Topic: windings ??  (Read 2214 times)

artv

windings ??
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »
the thinner the windings the more heat they produce??....Is this because they have less mass ,than heavier windings....(less free electrons to flow) ............using more mass of the thin because there is less of it? Is two in hand of #7..the same as one #14.The reason I ask is because I mentioned previously about a solid stator core ...eddy brake I was told....well then look towards micro-scopic wire size.......heat is energy...........every answer I read fuels ten more questions........I'll just keep pickin.....artv

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: windings ??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
Heat is Watts.

Watt's Law.  Watts = Amps x Ohms

Ohm's Law.  Volts = Amps x Ohms

Watt's and Ohm's Laws reconfigured.  Amps x Amps x Ohms = Watts

It is the ohms.  And the amps.
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

artv

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »
ghurd is cut in when the machine produces more voltage than the bank is rated for??.......hope I'm starting to get a clue..artv

dsmith1427

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:26:22 AM »
The following link is to a website that gives AWG wire sizes. 

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Don

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:43:01 AM »
the thinner the windings the more heat they produce??....Is this because they have less mass ,than heavier windings....(less free electrons to flow) ............using more mass of the thin because there is less of it? Is two in hand of #7..the same as one #14.The reason I ask is because I mentioned previously about a solid stator core ...eddy brake I was told....well then look towards micro-scopic wire size.......heat is energy...........every answer I read fuels ten more questions........I'll just keep pickin.....artv

The heat depends on the power dissipated in the winding not on the size of wire.

If you make a 12v stator and a 120v one the 120v one will have much thinner wire but the two stators will do the same job at their appropriate voltages and the heat will be identical. if you try to push the current of the 12v one by running the 120v one at lower voltage then it will fry.

Heat depends on the current and the resistance, if you do things right the current will be lower with thin wire but the resistance will be higher. You can only get a certain size wire in for each voltage so the issue  is not a real one.

If you ignore the eddy problem of a solid disc you would have a one turn winding and it would probably suit a 100mV battery, these are not too common so the whole process is flawed.

Flux

artv

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
thanks for the replies.....I'm not very good with equations ,heavier the wire the more current it can handle ,in school I was more interested in programing than the electronics..(wish I would have paid closer attention) intel 6800 machine language .whats the difference between 12v,24v,48v designs for these machines? To me it seems their all the same with the exception of the wire size and amount of turns/coil and is power only created when you draw off the generator.......totally lost......artv :-[

artv

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:02:33 PM »
ghurd whenI read your reply, something didn't seem right ....so I checked ...the book I have says E=IxR...P=IxE....where power and watts are the same thing ...is this right  or am I not understanding correctly?.............thanks .....artv

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:10:17 PM »
Simple as it gets algebra.
You understand E = E?

P = I x 'E'
.          'E' = (I x R)

P = I x (I x R)
P = I x I x R

A 48W 12V light bulb uses 4A, and has a working temperature resistance of 3 Ohms.

Work it out any way you want, but it does work out no matter how you do it.

You either have to learn to understand the basics or believe what people tell you.

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »
Heat is Watts.

Ghurd, I suspect he was confused by your typo above.  I think you meant Watts = Amps x Volts...

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 11:26:59 PM »
Heat is Watts.

Ghurd, I suspect he was confused by your typo above.  I think you meant Watts = Amps x Volts...

Yup.
Thanks.