Author Topic: Long Term Charging?  (Read 1230 times)

oldmil

Long Term Charging?
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:39:30 PM »
Good Evening All,

I'm new to solar.  Just installed a 50w Kyocera panel with a Morningstar SS10 controller at a hunting cabin.  Can I leave 2 6v golf cart batteries (wired to 12v) and a deep cycle marine battery hooked up unattended for long periods? or do I need a load dump?  Could be several months between visits.

Thanks for your help.

Oldmil

tanner0441

Re: Long Term Charging?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:26:25 AM »
Hi

Solar controllers reduce the power going into the batteries from the panel, because solar panels don't mind being run without a load on them they come to no harm.  I have a three stage PWM controllers and it just reduces the power into the batteries with no need for a dump load.

Wind controllers need a dump load because if the turbine is unloaded and the wind speed goes up the turbine has a very good chance of running away and destroying itself.

This is very brief but I hope it helps.

Brian

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:00:45 AM »
Oldmill;
You should be okay, It really depends on the Amp-hour rating of those 2 6Vdc batteries and how big the deep cycle batt is, BUT you should be okay, IF the marine batt is for a trolling motor and those 2 6V batts are similar to the ones from Sam's/Walmart of the golf cart types.
May be a good idea to make sure all 3 three are topped up to correct levels with distilled water before leaving tho.

Both item Panel and controller are good solid brands and you should get a long life out of both.

Cheers;
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

oldmil

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance Brian and Bruce.  I was hesitant about leaving them until I knew for sure.  I'll also bring up a jug of distilled water and check them each time before I leave.

The golf cart batteries are Energizers from Sam's.  105 min reserve.  The marine is a trolling motor battery with 125 ah reserve.

Oldmil