Author Topic: 17 foot stator (personal observations)  (Read 1977 times)

freejuice

17 foot stator (personal observations)
« on: May 16, 2010, 08:56:54 AM »
Well,
 I have it casted and it turned out fairly well with polyester resin...the top had a few holes, mainly about a half a dozen or so trapped air pockets which were at the surface. There was not a crack to be found anywhere. The trapped air pockest at the surface can easily be filled, they are only about 3/16 inch deep.....not very large in diameter.

The bottom of the stator came out smooth, no voids cracks....anything....perfect.

I followed the advice of the Dan's and Mr Piggot in both of their manuals when dealing with polyester; combining both ideas for this one casting ( pitching their manuals here, if you don't have them, and can afford them, then go ahead and spend the few dollars on them and be confident in what you will be doing!)

Things I would change if I were to wind another stator:
 Don't do like me and wind it opposite of the wire travel as it goes around the center island. Look at the Dan's manual closely and see which way the individual is turning the coils winder and its direction of travel! I didn't !,
Here's what happened:
 If you stand in front of the coil winder, as if you are watching someone winding a coil,with the crank handle facing you, I would be to your left and winding the coil in a clockwise direction,with the wire spooling off behind me, futher to your left. When this occurs, you end up having to bend the wire from the coil back sharply or make a very small radius as you make the connections around the center island....it would probably be best to wind them in a counterclockwise direction...it would make for a more streamline connection and less "figthing" of the connections, in the photo, you might not be able to see it, but the tails of the coils have to bend back in the opposite direction, as they are hooked up around the stator.
 Second: Grease or use paste wax underneath the island center, and the outer surround too.....just go ahead and grease everything up as you assemble it.
 I greased it up after I assembled the mold, and even caulked the inner and outer diameters so as not to get resin underneath these joints....well the resin got underneath it anyway, so I had to ruin the mold taking it apart..I used a caulk which was probably a window glazing caulk, thinking it would be good enough, but in retrospect, a good silicone caulk would have probably been better.....some of this might because of the pressure used, I used decking screws to anchor the lid on instead of C-clamps

It took just under a gallon of resin for this stator and about two 14oz bottles of talc, ( I could have used more talc) The resin came with two bottles of hardener, I used exactly half of what the mfg recommends.... I followed the very good advice in the manuals on this!

The coils all fit nicely, I had to pull the tape down very hard and push the smaller side of the coils in slightly with the palm of my hands to fit within the layout lines, but I used a piece of 3/4 inch plywood for the overall mold depth, which actually came out about .710 thick, this actually helped somewhat..I didn't have any of the "starts" to poke up through after casting...( this situation has haunted me before)

Shadow

Re: 17 foot stator (personal observations)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
Its looking good!

I guess I have yet to see the advantage of having the connections around the inside, I have always connected mine around the outside parimeter. Look at all the room you have to work with between coils.And look how tight things are around the inner circle.

There may be a good reason the Dans do it this way,that I never heard.

I solder my output wires to the brass bolts before pouring, then the three bolts protrude through the mold. Just a thought... Good Luck!

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:13:46 PM »
That's a nice clean looking job, mine came out pretty much exactly as you describe (except for the backwards winding thing) ;) My next mill will be a 20 foot machine and I'm going to be making individually cast coils. I just don't like the fact that once the stator is cast if you have one coil with a problem you are SOL, then if you have a problem with furling and burn a couple coils you are SOL again.
There was a thread a while back about somebody who did individual coils and it was beautiful, I just have to try it.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

freejuice

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »
Hi Shadow,
 Thanks,
 I took the picture before I soldered the three brass bolts for the connection points. To be honest I did think about running my connections close to the outside of the coils, and banding the whole affair with electrical tape, in the same manner the Dan's band their rotors it would be easy to place into the mold...nothing would shift around at the last moment.
But if I ran the wires on the outside, I figured my luck would run out and I would probably win the wire drilling lottery.

Fabricator, You do good work, I would like to see those individual coils some day!....There was some fellow a while back who, as you mentioned cast his individual coils...he used some vaccum forming process...if not mistaken coils were black in color with the center of the coils left open to assist coooling... I guess.

You know, that kind of process if simplifed for the backyard shop kind of guys were all are, would be the cats meow!
 Yea...more than once I have seen a burnt stator in this forum in which one or two coils crapped out but the others survived without any outward harm ( or appears to be) ...now how hot the enamel got on those other coils would probably be anybody's guess!
 But with the price of copper the way it is, it would be nice to be able to replace one or two coils instead of trashing the whole stator. I would hate to burn mine up...its has about 200 bucks in wire! One or Two pounds of wire is much easier to swallow than 16 or so lbs of wire!

Oh, check you PM!

All the best,
 Gavin

jlt

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:04:51 AM »
It looks hard to put all the connections on the inside. I have always put mine on the out side. If you don't put color in the resin you can see where to drill without hitting any wires.