Author Topic: Increase reflector output?????  (Read 44961 times)

GoVertical

Increase reflector output?????
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:29:21 AM »
Greetings, I have been workings on a Solar Tracker. I have some small TV sat dishes that I am planning to cover with Mylar to create the reflector.  After viewing some videos on YouTube I noticed that a larger dish produces more heat.  Would adding a lens increase output of a smaller dish? 
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

Tritium

Re: Increase reflector output?????
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Sun in minus reflective losses and/or transmissive losses = sun out. You can concentrate the energy on a smaller spot but the total energy remains the same.

Thurmond

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 03:03:25 PM »
Unless you use careful choice of materials for the lens and efforts to keep it very clean, you'd likely just destroy the lens if you used it as drawn. 

You have the lens shown at the point where the light is already gathered into a small area (which is good from the standpoint of not needing a giant lens).  The problem is the intense amount of energy contained in that small column of light.  The lens will absorb a small fraction of it because the glass, quartz, whatever is not perfectly transmissive and all of that absorbed energy will turn into heat in the glass.  Also, any speck of dirt will heat up to flame temperature and cause even more defects in the lens.

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »
you will do better with a single lens, the second will shadow the larger lens and overall gain will be less.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:55:02 AM »
The lens would get hot I think

Kwazai

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:24:39 AM »
I've been playing with some of the small dishes as of late also. I have stripped the paint/powdercoat off and found that they are made from what is often referred to as paint grip galvanized (rough finish galvanized coating-suitable for paint). I have been polishing this coating with a suitable compound and buff (almost mirror finish). what i have found is the elliptical dishes put a spot (pair of spots-focused) about the size of a silver dollar and it does not get more than just warm to the touch (enough to deform a 2liter plastic bottle). The smaller parabolic round ones will focus to a pin point which will burn you much like a magnifying glass does. My most recent one is a 5ft hughes network dish which I am in the process of stripping/prepping to polish. I had read this
http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/solardish/dish_faqs.php
and near as I can figure he's at about 2 watts per square inch of collector area. So the bigger the better.
My brother has been collecting projection TVs for the magnifying lens that is behind the screen and he routinely will pull one out (stores them between cardboard) and set a piece of wood on fire in a matter of seconds (60" TV lens...). You may want to look at one of them as a simpler alternative. anyway my .02$.
L8r
Mike

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »
and near as I can figure he's at about 2 watts per square inch of collector area.

Pretty sure under perfect and ideal conditions, there is only 0.881W per square inch available.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller