Author Topic: Cool Trick! Isolating one solar water panel?  (Read 35397 times)

shaniac

Cool Trick! Isolating one solar water panel?
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
Greetings, I am relocating my two panel solar hot water system and I am thinking about adding a third panel to up the BTUs during the winter days. My question is, should I consider setting the glycol panels up so I can turn some valves to shut off one panel during the summer or is it better to just get a controller that can manage the heat loads during the summer for me and some how keep them from getting too hot. I do know that I will need to drain the isolated panel during the change over and it will be a pain, but the goal would be to have more hot water during the winter. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PaulJ

Re: Cool Trick! Isolating one solar water panel?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:54:22 AM »
   I put a reflective cover over one of my panels in summer, it's simple, no valves or messing around with draining glycol. Works a treat.

Paul.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
   I put a reflective cover over one of my panels in summer, it's simple, no valves or messing around with draining glycol. Works a treat.

Paul.

Paul;

Excellent idea!

Simple, cheap and effective.

Tom

shaniac

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 03:19:51 PM »
Don't you just love it when your are over engineering an idea and someone comes along and says" Um, how about just doing X? and you feel like a complete nimrod because you had not thought of that? Well I am there right now.   ::)

As always this board is a wealth of great ideas, no matter how pure and simple. THANK YOU!!!!!!