Author Topic: A Hot Cell  (Read 1914 times)

fvrdbauer

A Hot Cell
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:06:20 AM »
I have a 48v system, it is made up of 2 24v forklift batteries in a series. im running solar power I noticed a fault light on my xantrex xw6048 it said the dc voltage under power.Then the light would goe out and work just fine. I started by checking the water level of each of the cells; I gaot to one 2v cell and it was awful warm but it was full of fluid.When I put my multitester on one side of 24v I get 27.5v and on the side where the cell is hot it has various reading from 22v to 27v strange. Since it said it was under voltage I stuck a 24v slow charge on the 24v side with the warm cell overnight I took it off the next morning and the inverter kicked in with the solar power but the cell is still very warm. Any suggestions?? Can This battery be salvaged. The charge overnite didnt work it still is giving me the fault
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:40:22 AM by fvrdbauer »

fvrdbauer

Re: A Hot Cell
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
I have a 48v system, it is made up of 2 24v forklift batteries in a series. im running solar power I noticed a fault light on my xantrex xw6048 it said the dc voltage under power.Then the light would goe out and work just fine. I started by checking the water level of each of the cells; I gaot to one 2v cell and it was awful warm but it was full of fluid.When I put my multitester on one side of 24v I get 27.5v and on the side where the cell is hot it has various reading from 22v to 27v strange. Since it said it was under voltage I stuck a 24v slow charge on the 24v side with the warm cell overnight I took it off the next morning and the inverter kicked in with the solar power but the cell is still very warm. Any suggestions?? Can This battery be salvaged. The charge overnite didnt work it still is giving me the fault .Im not sure but i think the one cell has a short in it ; can it be fixed????

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
In this type bank of 2 V cells I think the "fix" is to swap out the bad cell?

I am not an expert but seems how the pros do it.

Tom

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:46:31 PM »
Yeah, like Tom said, there are companies like Deka that rebuild forklift batteries.  A few emails and you might find someone to come out and load test the cells and replace the bad cells on site.

http://allpowerbattery.com/  This place advertizes on site service in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/question-about-forklift-batteries-182471/  a poster here suggested adding epsom salts to the dead cell and slowly recharging it.