Author Topic: Which solar panels do I need?  (Read 35118 times)

phil b

Which solar panels do I need?
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:41:05 PM »
I am looking for solar panels that can be used to power LED's mounted on a vehicle' top carrier.

I plan to bolt a ~3'X4' piece of sturdy sheet of aluminum across the carrier to contain the solar cells and mount the LEDs around the sides to serve as caution/warning lights. The lights could carry as much as 20 amps at 12 volts. (lots of powerful LED's and driver boards!) The driver boards can take as much as 36 VDC, 10 amps each.

Dependability and long service life are paramount, that's why I'm using LED's.

I know that all solar panels cannot take to bumps and constant movement. Which solar panels would be the best for this application? Any advice?
Phil

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Which solar panels do I need?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
Just a thought for you: flexible PV such as the UniSolar stick-on types, which I know have been used in boating applications for example, may be more tolerant of vibration, etc, though I'd have thought that the interconnects would still be vulnerable.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

phil b

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »
Thanks Damon. That's a good idea.

The interconnects could probably be stabilized with silicon glue to prevent vibration damage.

I checked Unisolar's website. Their smallest panel is 9 feet long and produces 68 watts. That is too big, but the panels are flexible and have an adhesive backing. That's a step in the right direction. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:15:50 PM by phil b »
Phil

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
There's also the semi-flexible (polycrystalline?) panels for yachts which are smaller and are ruggedised.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social