Author Topic: Advice on Solar Tracker Module/  (Read 40836 times)

wilfor03

• USA: Union Grove, Alabama
Advice on Solar Tracker Module/
« on: June 09, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »
 >:(  I've got my system ready for the "Tracker" circuit now. I've been reading about Duane @ RedRok, even tried 4 times to email him about my system, but he doesn't seem to respond to emails anymore. Funny way to do business, I guess.......anyhow, what's everyone else using for their tracker circuits? I've found this one, "http://mtmscientific.com/solartracker.html" and only one other person I know of, says he would have rather had the RedRok tracker???  Any good ideas out there???  Thanks everyone, in advance................Bill   :'(
Bill

Volvo farmer

Re: Advice on Solar Tracker Module/
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »
You ain't the only one. I've bought 9 or 10 redrok trackers in the past and I can't get Duane to reply to my emails either. My gut instinct tells me he never intended to run the tracker thing as a business, but enjoyed building them as a hobby in his spare time. He did email me confirming that he hadn't passed away but I have no idea what kind of magic words one has to say anymore to get a tracker from him.

Someone in here has built a circuit using a Picaxe chip, but I don't remember them posting a circuit diagram. There are also a couple of circuits over on Duane's site, including one that uses CDs cells and relays,  but you need a good deal of patience and determination to find them.
Less bark, more wag.

wilfor03

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:40:19 PM »
Hey there, Volvo Farmer....appreciate the words.....think maybe I'll just try that circuit board I mentioned above and give that a try.....I'll keep ya posted on what goes on with that......type at 'cha later.....Bill
Bill

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:38:46 AM »
Here's the post with the picaxe controlled tracker:

http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,143473.msg965560.html#msg965560

Though, the constructor isn't ready to release the details yet before he's refined the product. ;) But the picaxe are pretty easy to both program and build around, so if you got some electronics experience, it shouldn't be hard to get one working... :)

Edit:
Just noticed that it was you Bill, that coaxed the picaxe controller info from RossW... Oh, well... ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:41:57 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

wilfor03

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
Hey Simen...yeah, just me.....Haven't gotten any new info from anyone bout the tracker stuff so I ordered the mtm scientific board yesterday. I want to get my "system" automated so I can go with the next step of enlarging the solar panel count (slowly of course). I've got all the wiring finished, batteries are ready, mount is ready....just need the tracker now. Oh, here's a 'build' set of photos of my little system if ya want to see it (FYI), "http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/wilfor0333/". Appreciate the reply (as always)........Hope ya have a Sunny Day!!!!            Bill    ;D
Bill

wilfor03

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
Just got the tracker kit in the mail today. MTM Scientific is sure fast on delivery (not like the other guy!!!). Still haven't heard anything from RedRok!!  Anyhow, the board arrived with all the parts in pack. Now just gotta find a cool place to assemble it all. I'll take pictures and let you know how it all works out. I'm sure others will be curious and may need some help/advice later on.  Later............Bill ;D
Bill

luv2weld

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:15 AM »
Sorry I did not see your original posting.
Here are a couple of sites worth looking at.

http://www.campatracka.com/shops/store.html

http://www.axetracka.com/

Ralph
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »
Wow.
Looks like I better get back to work on the tracking circuits.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »
ghurd
I'm not one to say. I told you so. Hint Hint.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 12:29:09 PM »
Wow.
Looks like I better get back to work on the tracking circuits.
G-

Yeah, stop wasting time online and get on it!

There is a bonus in it if you come in under deadline and severe penalties for missing the deadline.

;D
 ;D

Tom

wilfor03

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »
Hey there Ghurd....are you making a Tracker board for sale???? Here's my "new" board assembled....was pretty quick throwing everything together (and simple).....now to wire up a test-setup and make sure it be good afore I throw it to the wind. I'll let cha know bout it.......Bill    ::)
Bill

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
The way I have it figured would be pretty easy on solderable perf/vero board.
The parts are mostly cheap and common.

There were a couple issues with the 1st prototype.  Got it working nicely on the "bench" (my friends lap, to get it in the sun), with too many jumper clips, resulting in a short, followed by a very loud noise and lots of smoke.   :'(

It has been low priority since then.  I expect I'll get back to it in a week or 2.

I doubt there is enough demand for me to shell out nonexistent funds for expensive custom circuit boards.
I nearly committed to a very generic kit until a great wholesale quantity deal for the most expensive (and hardest to find cheap) parts fell through.
I am toying with the idea of a "parts pack", because I could put it together quite cheap per unit in large quantities, but then it's back to that thing about low demand and nonexistent funds.

I almost reached dozenair status,
then my wife wanted a new kitchen floor that was specifically designated as NOT being Harvest Gold,
that she probably won't let me solder or epoxy neos to stuff on anyway...   :-\
G-

luv2weld

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »
Glen,
Ref: "Got it working nicely on the "bench" (my friends lap,"

So you now have one less friend???      

resulting in a short, followed by a very loud noise and lots of smoke.

Did you figure out if it was "the bench" that made the noise???

Here is another kind of short (shart)!!!

<<image removed due to graphic content of Montezumas revenge>>

Ralph
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:04:07 PM by DanG »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

wilfor03

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »
woo-whooo...got the board put together and after finding only one cold solder joint, too! everything works as it should, East/West tracking AND Night parking back to the east. It was really a nice build. Nothing complicated about it and only 3.50 more than "the other guy". I'll post a picture later when I figure out how to reduce the size. Can't wait to mount it in the baby food jar and get it running!!  Wish me luck.......Bill
 ;D
Bill

Volvo farmer

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »
Oooo. 12VDC only. That would be a bummer for me, I'm running 24V battery voltage out to the trackers. Please post pics when you can. I see no pictures of the photocells on that mtm site.

Less bark, more wag.

wilfor03

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »
Okay, I figured out how to do this with a picture (I think). The sensors are just litty-bitty LDR's (supposedly matched). If ya blow up the picture, you can see where they wire in on top-right of the board. Gonna mount em in a baby food jar and see how that works out. I'll take more pictures when I get it up there.......Bill
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:27:21 PM by kurt »
Bill

bamfords54

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »
hey guys, I got a redrok controller just a few months ago. I still didn't get it mounted as I have been too busy at work, but hopefully soon. It took about three months to get it,but if you call him and send a check by mail, he will respond. Just my experience with him.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 10:33:36 AM »
Looks good Wilford!
A few of the solder joints look a little bit empty.  If it get glitchy, might reheat them.

It would be pretty easy to make it work with 24V.
7814 to feed the board.
Board's motor connections to a pair (Forward and Reverse) of back to back 12V relay coils and diodes to power the 24V motor.

My tinkering with LDRs in trackers looked less than promising.
Very interested in how this circuit works for you.
G-

wilfor03

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 12:37:22 PM »
  Just finished putting all the LDR stuff inside the Baby Food jar and tested it out......seems to work just fine (picture of test setup). Gotta wait till the weekend for my loaned out ladder to come back home! Pooh!!!!   I'll post more when I get it all mounted with some more pictures.......Bill    ;)

i fixed your photos so they display please read the new (posting photos) sticky in site news
Kurt
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:32:00 PM by kurt »
Bill

wilfor03

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
Got a question for ya.....if ya hook the tracker up with the panels initiallly at the 12 noon position, when you apply power to the board, (at say, 8am) will it track back to the east and get caught up to the sun? And then track on to the west with the sun's movement? Was just thinking bout that? Thanks............Bill
Bill

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »
I did not go through the logic.
Some do not track East.  Some do track East, which I believe is pretty pointless. 

If you want to see if it does track East, then put your finger over the West facing LDR.
Or do your best to shade the West facing LDR.

(I hope... )
My circuit will not track East, because the sun does not move East, therefor an East tracking signal will be a short lived anomaly.
The sun ain't movin' East where I live, so looking for it East of where it was a minute ago is not where it will be.
My circuit will park facing East at night.
G-

wilfor03

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
I only meant would it briefly track back to the east just to catch up to where it's supposed to be......did those pictures help ya out any I sent ya? No, this one doesn't track back east either....I have to manually move it back east then slap the power to it and it should take over then......guess I was just being lazy bout it and asked before I actually tried it. Oh, and this one parks back to the east at night also.......Bill
Bill

Volvo farmer

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 10:50:55 PM »
Quote from: ghurd

My circuit will not track East, because the sun does not move East, therefor an East tracking signal will be a short lived anomaly.
The sun ain't movin' East where I live, so looking for it East of where it was a minute ago is not where it will be.
My circuit will park facing East at night.
G-

No dual axis trackers in your plans?
Less bark, more wag.

wilfor03

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 07:09:10 AM »
Maybe later on (before winter) when I get a couple more panels......This stuff is sooooo adicting to live with!!! I hate it (I love it!) (LOL)   ;)  Bill
Bill

wilfor03

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
Hey VolvoFarmer.....ever have any problems with the LED's/LDR's up in your jar on the mount? Heat problems, specifically? Don't know what the heat max is on LDR's but a friend says his just fried today due to heat???  Just curious to see if you've had any troubles................Thanks.....Bill   :'(
Bill

Volvo farmer

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
Hey VolvoFarmer.....ever have any problems with the LED's/LDR's up in your jar on the mount? Heat problems, specifically? Don't know what the heat max is on LDR's but a friend says his just fried today due to heat???  Just curious to see if you've had any troubles................Thanks.....Bill   :'(

No heat troubles. Mine use LEDs and not LDRs though.
Less bark, more wag.