Author Topic: damaged sunpower panels  (Read 31839 times)

bamfords54

damaged sunpower panels
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:03:35 PM »
question for everbody, The company I work for has 3 or 4 sunpower 220 watt panels sitting in the shop with shattered glass. Is there any way to replace the glass or use these some other way? I was thinking about building a frame to mount them in and covering it with tempered glass. any ideas? 

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: damaged sunpower panels
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
If they still put out in full sun, you could build a box to house them. The glass needs to be low iron tempered. It doesn't have to be the same size as the panel, the box it built to accomodate the glass you buy. Those panels were over $700 new probably.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Commercial-Low-Iron-Front-Solar-Panel-Glass-/170497670171?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b273fc1b  is an example.

The box needs to vent so you don't condense water on the panels.

Can you take them outside and load test them?

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 03:50:44 AM »
That sounds like fun . the glass should be bonded at the frame . This is one time when the backing panel with be important . What voltage /current can ou still see from the panels ? 

bamfords54

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:26:22 PM »
I did't get a chance to test for volts or amps yet, as we have been very busy. as soon as I get a chance I'll check and post back. still don't know for sure if I can even have them,but hopefully