Author Topic: Sanyo or Kaneka SA110?  (Read 32526 times)

MagicValleyHPV

Sanyo or Kaneka SA110?
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
I have a 20ft. motor home which I added a couple of small 12v PV's 7 years ago. With the falling prices of PV's and the need for a few more watts, I decided to replace the entire system, and move to 24v. So,.. I'm looking at 350-400w total. I already have a Morningstar SS 15a MPPT which can tolerate 75v Voc input, so I'm looking at either 3 Kaneka SA110 (110w each), or two SANYO HIP-195BA19's.  The Kaneka's have been very hard to find within reasonable shipping distance, but I did locate the Sanyo's. So my question is; How good are the Sanyo's long term, and are they worth the extra $? I ask, given their warranty is advertised at 20 years, not 25 as is typical. Appreciate the insight -k-
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:27:18 PM by MagicValleyHPV »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Sanyo or Kaneka SA110?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »
I'm using (lots of) Sanyo 215 HIT panels on my roof and so far they have been outperforming expectations for 2 years or so.

I'm not sure that anyone is going to be able to offer you 'long term' views as I don't imagine that they've been manufactured for that long.

Also, different panels might have different tolerance to vibration, etc, unrelated to their electrical performance.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: Sanyo or Kaneka SA110?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
The main thing good or bad is the warranty . The short circuit voltage is another tell .IF the panels can maintain that state you get a good idea of the internal density and the reliability of the coating that both picks up and transfers the ions  .  Uv works on the coating . If hey are comfortable with 25 years on materials you should good . The main degradation that's notice able is the yellowing of the EVA that can be replaces with time and a heat gun .