Remote Living > Transportation

Electric Motorcycle build question

(1/3) > >>

divemaster1963:
I have been finding parts to build a electric motorcycle. I have found a 27 volt bus AC motor with dual shafts.  The frame is a Kaw 440 frame. and the batteries are deep cycle 12volt Gel. the controller is a 300 amp golf cart unit. the on board charger is a 36 volt Minny cart charger. The lites are all led 12volt plus a 25 watt headlite.I have a 4 speed transmission for the motor. chain drive to trans then chain to rear wheel.

My Question is what could I expect milage wise. I am trying for apx 50 miles at a top speed of 60 with a cruising speed of 40 to get to work and back. terrain is rolling hills with mostly gradual grades.

any suggestion would be appreciated.
Build on temporary hold till fall. wife broke hip. :'( so am doing in house projects for now.

john

Bruce S:
    The 4-speed tranny which is probably built in the to Kaw could be a drain on the system. The AC motor really will not need a tranny, only thng need will be neutral and go.
With the AC motor down at 27V you may have problem getting up to 60mph due to weight and its limits. You might be able to with gearing, but seriuos doubts.
The distance can be calculated by current draw, if you have the faceplate, post the info and we can see what it'll take.
Biggest thing will be using the 36V controller and getting AC out of it. PWM will be a big factor for this.

Build can certainly wait, but we can do the numbers first then you can assemble later.
Sorry to hear about the wife, take care her first and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Bruce S

REdiculous:
I don't know what's common for motorcycles but a 21" diameter tire spinning at 1000rpm would have you going about 62mph. A slightly larger diameter tire means slightly lower rpm for the same speed and then the opposite is true as well..

If the motor is beefy enough to handle it then ditch the tranny and gear for a max of 60mph. The push trailer for my bicycle is geared for 45mph at rated rpm and it can push me from a stand-still no problem. In my case it's a treadmill motor and a 9:1 ratio..not quite motorcycle level but eventually it won't be too far off. later :)

divemaster1963:
I'm sorry for the confusion. I have had little sleep sense my wife broke her hip week ago sunday. had surgery Tues morning. st oped breathing wed night. almost lost her due to overdose of med by doctor. just got her home today.

The motor is DC not ac. the motor is from the Air conditioner blower off a transit bus. ???

thankyou for any info you have.

Tinbendr:
Check out these guys, maybe they can help you out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version