Author Topic: looking to get started in solar possibly going with a cigs panel  (Read 29614 times)

whatusernamesareleft

Hey everyone.  I gonna go with a 100watt sunforce cigs solar panel and the 30amp digital controller,  and one of the SLA batteries from northern tool since it doesn't have them stupid MC connectors.  But,  I don't see much of any topics here on cigs panels. So I have no idea if they really do have better output then Amorphous, or the "Crystalline" types and stuff.  I have probably about 175 total watts of AC adapters,  some devices are 12volts some are not.  My problem is I would like to power this stuff with solar. How do I properly size the system for this stuff?  Some of the devices are 1 police scanner, cable modem and router, ATA adapter, cordless phone charger bases. The cost of the panels don't bother me,  just as long as the power company receives less money ;D

theshadownose

Re: looking to get started in solar possibly going with a cigs panel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »
K,   I'm gonna give this a shot and see if I am doing this right-   if I screw this up let me know.

Short answer-  Add up number of watts you use in a day/week/whatever.    That's the amount you USE/NEED

If your panels are 100 watts,  figure out insolation (amount of sun) for your area- probably 4-7 hours average (panels only work well with very direct light early morning/late evening very little power)  so most possible to get with that is 400-700 watts in a day.     That's how much you MAKE

Batteries  - Deep cycle- measured in Amp hours-  so a 12 volt 10 amp hour battery holds 12 volts time 10 amps, or 120 watts. 
Deep cycle batteries can be cycled up and down much more than car batteries, but if you empty them too much, they will die much faster. 
Most good batteries will last 5 + years if you keep them above 50%.

So with 100 watt panel, (assuming 5 hours sun)  you make 500 watts.  Working backwards from above,  500 watts at 12 volts would fill a 40 amp hour battery in 1 sunny day, if all the power went into the battery.  Since you never want you battery to drop below 50%,  you would want 80 amp hours of batteries for that load. 

That size system would provide 500 watts across a 24 hour period in absolutely perfect conditions (which never happens...you will have losses- rain, dirt on panels, loss in wires, loss inside batteries..... real world, maybe 70-75%  of best is pretty darn good, so if you get 350 watts on 5 hours you are doing okay.)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »
theshadownose
thats a pretty good description, but you are talking about watts there, you should have been talking about Watthours

as to the original posters questions
I have 90 watts of solar panels and I use the power at 12 volts straight off of the battery. I'm powering things that are very similar to the things you list: Tv converter, Fan, LED and fluorescent lights, Router, Cable Modem, CellPhone charger, and a couple more items. I'd say I have plenty of power for these items, I'm using a 225 amphour battery and I can get a good 5 days of power on cloudy days and 10 days or so if I conserve a bit.

Here is my system . . .
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,134967.0.html
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,130014.0.html

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
Hey shadownose,  that helped a bit...Thanks ;D

Wooferhound,  I like your setup, that's how I want to do mine.  I want to start off small,  and grow from there.

I am also reconsidering getting that $599 cigs panel from northerntool,  I was going to jump on a 40watt solartech for $177  that way I don't have to postpone for 3 or  4 months for the $599 cigs panel.

wilfor03

• USA: Union Grove, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
Hey whatusernamesareleft, afore you buy from NT, check out flea-bay for some panels.....you can almost double your wattage for the same price......just a thought......Bill   8)
Bill

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »
Stating the obvious:

Those MC connectors can be removed with a pair of dikes. Then strip the wires and do as you will with the connections.

That is what I did with about 3 grand worth of Kyoceras anyway.

Tom

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »
Also check out this site for the lowest solar panel prices that I know of . . .
http://sunelec.com/

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »
Stating the obvious:

Those MC connectors can be removed with a pair of dikes. Then strip the wires and do as you will with the connections.

That is what I did with about 3 grand worth of Kyoceras anyway.

Tom

Wouldn't that void any warranties on those items then?

Also check out this site for the lowest solar panel prices that I know of . . .
http://sunelec.com/

I will also check out that website too.  Thanks for the help everyone ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:31:00 PM by whatusernamesareleft »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »

I asked the dealer and he said no  that they do it all the time. Its not like you dug out a connection in the panel it is just a cable termination after all. At least on the Kyoceras it is a pigtail with them on it. Mostly for ease of stringing them in series for MPPT systems and the like.

Tom

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »

I asked the dealer and he said no  that they do it all the time. Its not like you dug out a connection in the panel it is just a cable termination after all. At least on the Kyoceras it is a pigtail with them on it. Mostly for ease of stringing them in series for MPPT systems and the like.

Tom

Thanks for clearing that up,  at least that gives me more of a selection now ;D