Author Topic: 9 kw Diesel generator into a externally regulated 12v dc alternator, ?????  (Read 2973 times)

TULLY

Hi there looks like, this may be the right place to ask this , I have a Onan 9kw 120v generator.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/marine/products/diesel/compare?gensetId=59&detail=true

That I would like to use to charge a bank of 12v AGM batteries, 1200 AHs worth.

Using this external regulator .

http://www.amplepower.com/products/sarv3/index.html

Basically , isn't a generator just a big alternator??  Couldn't I just rectify it differently ????

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
you can do just about anything you like, however not everything that can be done should be done.

your genset, if it can produce 9kwatt at 120vac works out to about 75amps max
that is the limit whether you regulate it to 12volts or 120 or anything in between.

that is the limit of what the stator windings can take without overheating and damage.

so 75amps x 14.4 volts = 1080 watts

so basically the unit will then produce about 1/9th its original capacity should you decide to regulate the output
down to and rectify for charging at 12volt nominal,, not a very good prospect at all.
any engine running at 1/9 its capacity is likely to be nowhere near as efficient as it was intended to be.

so you see, it can be done, but probably shouldn't be done from a theoretical standpoint.

now for a practical standpoint, the regulator you list as a possible controller for the generator is capable of supplying perhaps
10amps to a 12vdc field, it is very unlikely the field in your genset runs at anywhere close to 12vdc, more likely it runs at 50vdc or even
higher, which precludes the use of that regulator for this purpose.

btw, that regulator was designed to control automotive type alternators, such as used on cars and heavy trucks.

you would be miles better off just plugging in a good quality charger into the genset in my opinion.

basically i would not risk damage the an otherwise useful genset, and i know a bit about them to start with.

not a good solution to your problem, sorry

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

TULLY

Well I thought it would be a great idea, guess i will just go with the charger. Thanks for the help.

Regards

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Bob g is right, it would be a major and stupid move to attempt to change the internal avr of the alternator. If you rectified and connected direct to a 12v battery with the existing AVI you would risk severe damage, it would be little more than a direct short circuit on the machine.

If you solved the regulator problem you would still be limited to 1/10th the nominal rating. Live with a battery charger but the performance may not be that brilliant, simple battery chargers often don't work so well with alternators but at least you will do no damage.

Your alternator is fairly big and it will be better on a battery charger than small power alternators but even so you may need a bit more sophisticated battery charger if you want hundreds of amps into the battery, battery chargers with choke filters work far better on generators but they cost money to produce and most cheap chargers don't have the choke.

Flux

TULLY

Wouldn't have been great if it worked though.

I was thinking of this inverter/charger for the job. Really only need the Genset to charge the batteries .

http://www.mastervolt.com/view_product.php?lang=2&section=marine&prggr_id=1013&prg_id=1090&pro_id=5916

Regards .