Author Topic: wood blades glue joints  (Read 1211 times)

mbk

wood blades glue joints
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »
  Hi all I was wondering if others uses biscuit jointers and biscuits between the joints or just glue them together on wood blades. I used them on two sets of blades and they seem to hold up good I was just wondering if its any better or would just glueing them is good enough.  Thanks
                                                                              max

imsmooth

Re: wood blades glue joints
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
You can read my blade carving tutorial.  I join several pieces of pine using glue and clamps.
http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind/bladecarving.html

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »
Just glue....

An extra problem to consider, if you need to use special joining techniques (for whatever reason) is the weight of the blade, and the distribution of weight.  Making a cavity between two layers, for holes or pegs or whatever, that isn't subsequently filled becomes a change in density.  Balancing the blades becomes more difficult. 

Just speaking in broad terms - one type of joint may not cause such problems, another might.  Plus it's more work...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

mbk

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
  It did take some extra time to do and there was another problem or maybe not a problem but its where the root is where ya have to take the wood way down you can see a couple  of the biscuits i wasnt thinking about that when i put them in but i filled the biscuit with wood filler and sealed them real good.when i had them down this week they still looked ok but i refinished them again so maybe good for another year.the next set i make for another turbine will be witout them prolly.