Author Topic: cooking in a power outage DC vs AC both solar power  (Read 30285 times)

xboxman

cooking in a power outage DC vs AC both solar power
« on: July 02, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
Hi everyone

been thinking of winter storms and power outages  and was thinking of the best way to cook and use the least amount of power..... so i saw a 12 volt fry pan on the net and was wondering if it would be less power to use the 12 volt fry pan or use a inverter and use a hot plate ?
 i know my AC hot plate is around 1500 watts but so far i can't find any power info on the roadpro fry pan model number RPSL-335 .

seems like i read some where when you convert lets say 10 AMPS DC to AC Amps you only have about 1 AMP AC ?

thanks

zap

• There's an app for that
Re: cooking in a power outage DC vs AC both solar power
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »
To run off of 12v you're going to have to set your sights much lower.

1500 watts @ 12v is over 115 amps!!!

This site lists, what appears to be the RoadPro RPSL-335, as using 144 watts/12amp.

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
for cooking in a power outage if your primary stove is electric then mite i suggest you buy one of these. they are the age old tried and true solution to this problem. propane stores forever unless the vessel it is stored in fails and it leaks out so you can keep half a dozen of those 1lb tanks on hand or if you go with the 2 burner stove you can get an adapter that will fit a 20lb up to 100lb portable tank. they say for outdoor use only but i know people who use the gasoline ones inside there cabins.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-1-Burner-Propane-Stove/871709

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Matchlight-2-Burner-Propane-Stove/895629

xboxman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:51:50 PM »
then it would take way to many amps to run the inverter to use the AC to run the hot plate so one would be  allot better off to cook with the DC fry pan that's only about 144 watts @ 12 amps
thanks Zap for finding the watts/ amps on that roadpro fry pan

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »
one would be  allot better off to cook with the DC fry pan that's only about 144 watts @ 12 amps

Watts is heat.
Heat is watts.

Not sure what could be suitably cooked over 5 tail light bulbs, but that is the heat from a 144W fry pan.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

xboxman

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:25:53 AM »
as long as i can warm up some baloney i will be happy  ;D

hydrosun

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »
My experience with 12 volt appliances was the quality wasn't very good and they didn't last too long.  The quality of mass produced 120 volt appliances that have to handle 1/10th the amps is much better.
The key to power efficiency of cooking is to get all the heat  you create into the food. With hot plates the element has to heat up and then transfer that heat to the pan and then into the food. A lot of the heat radiates out the side. I use "cool touch" rice cookers to steam or boil meals. I took them apart and added a layer of foil internally to block more of the heat from escaping.  The power losses of the inverter might be 15% but the heat losses of open appliances might be 50% so that is where the most power can be saved. I use an super insulated crock pot to can over 300 quarts of fruit each year. I took out the inner chamber and put  4 jars in. I had to remove the plastic parts and replace the cord with heat resistant wire.  It uses less than 100 watt/hours to cook, sterilize, and seal each quart jar. I used to use it bake bread too. I now have a bread machine that uses 250 watt/hours for a loaf of bread
 We also have an electric frying pan that we use less frequently. I'll usually throw a kitchen towel over it after the stirring is done to keep it hot until the rest of the meal is cooked. We do all of our cooking with electricity and have to juggle cookers to do multiple dishes with our 2000 watt inverter.  The rule is to only use one large appliance at a time. So the frying pan needs to be unplugged if the microwave is needed to reheat something. If we had a larger 4000 watt inverter this wouldn't be such an issue.
So with my experience I'd start with some rice cookers off an inverter for  emergency cooking or whenever you have enough surplus power.
Chris

OperaHouse

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »
Look into induction heating.  Reports are people just love them. These units are available in the $100 range and are very efficient and work off inverters.  Must be a steel pan.  Cheaper ones have a smaller hot spot.  Bad news is there are a lot of reports of these arriving with cracked surfaces.  So don't go low bid if the return policy will cost you shipping.

hydrosun

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »
I had a lower cost induction hotplate I bought on ebay.  Sometimes it wouldn't start heating until some other load was put on the inverter. It seemed my Outback sinewave inverter didn't see it as a load and power it properly. The lights came on and the fan but not the induction transformer. Once started it usually worked fine. Then two years later I couldn't get it to work at all.  I don't know how well these induction cookers have worked on other inverters.
Chris

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »
interesting topic.   i'm no expert on the most efficient cooking method via electrical use, but thought some of you may take a liking to

http://www.rei.com/product/401062?preferredSku=4010620013&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-4010620013&mr:trackingCode=99724FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

it works best on a pot with vertical sides.  basically, it channels heat up the sides of the pot, rather than letting the heat "roll" off the bottom edge of the pot. 

on longer mountaineering trips, the weight of this device outweighs the fuel it saves...  anything to lighten a big pack for climbing is HUGE! 

seems similar to some of the home-made modifications chris has done to store bought appliances.

adam