Author Topic: Old auto turbine for power?  (Read 2922 times)

Phssthpok

Old auto turbine for power?
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
Has anyone thought of trying to utilize the exhaust side of an old auto turbo unit as a drive unit for hydro? (for those unfamiliar with auto turbos, the exhaust goes in the 'snout' and exits the larger central opening).

Without going into any engineering maths, it seems that the denser properties of water would play well into the close tolerances and 'turbo-fin' arrangement for maximum extraction of power from the flow of water especially with low flow/high head situations. Also, since they (turbos) come in many sizes from tiny (for chainsaws!) to large (Diesel semi-trucks) one could easily size the 'drive' for ones water flow characteristics.

One may have to gear DOWN the output for the necessary torque to generate power (50,000 rpm is not uncommon in automotive applications), but at the same time, one may NOT have to due to the denser properties of water providing more torque over air (exhaust gasses)....I just don't know. Cooling of the unit obviously wouldn't be a problem as they are designed for direct exposure to hot exhaust gasses as soon as they exit the combustion chamber, and as for lubrication, even though they are designed to receive constant circulated oil, much of that is also for cooling, so I think one could get away with simply filling the bearing/shaft assembly with fresh oil and sealing off the lube passages.

Thoughts?

nick1234

Re: Old auto turbine for power?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:01 PM »
i tried fooling around with  a auto tubo the results i got was like what you get with water pump as turbine
need large amount water volume plus pressure   but got better results with steam should not have sold the boiler