Logged in users > User Diaries

VAWT new proto-type

<< < (2/104) > >>

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: GoVertical on July 21, 2010, 08:20:46 AM ---Greetings, The bearings are 5/8 ID and I have to fabricate the PMA with a rotating central shaft. All previous PMA's were constructed with a stationary central shaft.  I found some off the shelf hubs that will aid with fabrication. I used plastic paneling I found at HOME DEPOT for the blades.  The concept drawing shows 6 blade but I cracked one of the blades testing how far it would bend so I reconfigured the proto-type with 5 blade just to test if it could be fabricated.  What would perform better 5 or 6 blades?  Still no wind, but I mounted a trailer hatch to the car so I use a cargo carrier and mount the VAWT for testing. It gives the neighbors something to talk about when I do the road tests, but it is all in good fun. Thanks for the input and best regards. 

(Attachment Link)

--- End quote ---
The performance of a 5 or 6 bladed unit will actually depend on its balance more than one extra or less blade. One of the things you will need to possibly look at, is how the air moves in and out of your design. Once the air has had a chance to get into the scoops, it must be able to exit without too much extra work.
Personally : I would go with the 5 bladed unit and calculate the swept area for it, if you need more, or want higher RPMs then go taller not wider. Too many blades could work against you as they start to get in each others wind.

Also; remember the genset does not have to be right at the hub or blades. This is one of the "pros" of a VAWT whereas you can locate the genset were you want within reason.
Hope this helps;
Bruce S

GoVertical:
Greetings, posted video and still waiting for wind  :-[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCs7-HHadwk

bj:
  GoVertical:   Hope it works out, 'cause it sure looks slick.  Kind of makes me want to try one, but I am already
confused enough with horizontals.
  Good luck.

None54:
Hello all...new to the sceen, I'm also working on a vertical axis wind turbine. I find this site and the welth of knowledge absolutly fasinating. Very well to the point and in such a wide array of topics.   None54

GoVertical:

--- Quote from: None54 on July 24, 2010, 08:35:35 PM ---Hello all...new to the sceen, I'm also working on a vertical axis wind turbine. I find this site and the welth of knowledge absolutly fasinating. Very well to the point and in such a wide array of topics.   None54

--- End quote ---

Greetings and welcome. I hope to see some pic's of your project.
http://www.vawts.net/
The above link is another great site for VAWT. Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version