Author Topic: Are you prepared?  (Read 2669 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Are you prepared?
« on: July 29, 2010, 04:22:54 AM »
Of those of us totally off grid, if you were not available do you have a plan/written document so others could fault find/fix your system?

I am about to compile mine so just thought I would ask in case there were some great ideas.

allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Are you prepared?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 07:27:32 AM »
Not off grid.

To answer the question: NO

Even I do not fully comprehend my system. I have to reverse engineer it often  myself.

A common problem for "grown in place" systems, I believe.

I blame Alzhiemers that is undiagnosed.

I hear what you're saying but cannot activate the area of my brain that explains stuff or the ones that deal with neatness, or labeling. I had a document fleshed out. Lost it in a Hard Drive crash. And the system has changed since.

I did label the transfer switches I recently installed.

Good idea, Allan.

PaulJ

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:02:08 AM »
  No :-[. My Wife's been at me for years  -and rightly so- to write up some sort of user manual for the system, even a couple of laminated A4 pages covering the basics would do.

The basics - When + how to start generator/ battery charger

When + how to shut down windmill

Windmill maintenance schedule/ repair manual (ok, we're getting beyond a couple of pages now)

Diagnosing + rectifying simple faults i.e. blown fuses

A circuit diagram maybe, in case I'm incapacitated and outside help is needed for repairs.

What have I missed?

I would be interested to know what you end up with Allan.

Cheers,
  Paul.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:13:18 AM »
I've thought about this a little and have convinced myself that the best user manual would be a $100K life insurance policy in a sealed envelope in the safety deposit box with the following note. "Bring in the grid"  ;D
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:15:45 AM »
I've thought about this a little and have convinced myself that the best user manual would be a $100K life insurance policy in a sealed envelope in the safety deposit box with the following note. "Bring in the grid"  ;D

VF;

As much as I hate to agree with you...  :P

Great idea.

Tom

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »
my re system is slowly being set up.  just got the charge controller the other day!  woo hoo! 

anyways, i've become very fond of a specific type of labeling for wires.  12-2 romex comes with a yellow sheath.  i take 2-3 inch chunks of this and write on it with a sharpie for a specific wire.  then slip it over the wire before i connect it to its home.  then, even with a cover plate off you can easily see what is what.

example-  the first time i saw this was on a job site and i removed the cover from a residential panel.  underneath, right before each wire connected to each breaker were small chunks or yellow romex sheathing labeling each circuit.  i was amazed!  great idea!

something that is easy to do as you go, so as time goes on, it is easy to remember what you have done, or for others sake as well!

adam

wpowokal

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 09:37:21 AM »
I would like to show my document so far but it will be tooo large, can someone please explain how I can achieve this.

allan

kurt

• website
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »
Microsoft word or open office writer can export as .pdf then you can upload it to  http://files.ww.com/ and just post the link that website gives you for your file.that single click file hosting page is one of JacquesM's websites same as the photo gallery tomw, me, and a few others use for hosting our photos that display here.

wpowokal

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 01:07:14 AM »
Thanks Kurt.

This is the first draft as far as I have progressed to date so you can see where I am heading and hopefully offer some constructive comments. I have not reviewed it so it may ramble a little and some pics need improving.

http://files.ww.com/files/69636.html
allan

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 01:39:23 AM »
What is your password to view that file ?

wpowokal

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 03:13:58 AM »
marchhare

wpowokal

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 02:04:46 AM »
Link to document without password I think.
http://files.ww.com/files/69648.html

Rover

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »
I've often thought about this, in case of fire, my own disappearance etc... My system is a hobby, but it does have a 700 a/h bank, grabbing/shorting the wrong wires, etc... could significantly alter someones day.

I have not/ not diagram it because of the constant changes I make, new homebuilt controllers (seems I'm still trying different stuff) , turbine test beds , outputs , etc.

I do try to label all the wires... from turbine, "wild AC" , from gens "DC" etc.. and my outputs are labelled, but if I were to pull the lid of my elec boxes , probably drive someone mad, trying to trace from wire to fuse etc.

Hopefully when things stabilize I'll diagram it, although stupid, it hasn't been a priority

(I even bought a labeler thinking it would make life easier)

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 05:53:33 AM »
I will be easier than finding some one to climb a pole and or run a drop to your house . If the machines are that esoteric then you should look for the short.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 04:08:15 PM »
every circiut I have put in has a diagram of where the wires went and what they were for. I made a drawing of everything and made a dozen copies and each circuit has its own darwing from where to how far off the floor it was to the size of wire used. I figure that if I want to expand or delete things  in  15 years I would not remember which wall carried which wire. I will do the same when I put in my battery banks. I will have about 750 ft of underground wiring that will need to be drawn out. So when I'm dead and gone someone will be able to fallow drawings and not get killed or hurt being stupid. The drawings are installed in a side pocket next to the main breaker box. As a side note I found a large piece of 3/8 thick plastic and will put it over the top of my batteries for a protective cover. It has alot of small holes in it for venting but I will cover the holes with screen cloth. Thus keeping my drop idus from causing a mistake of discharing the batteries to fast.
MntMnROY 13