Author Topic: In researching stage...  (Read 12438 times)

Atokatim

Re: In researching stage...
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
No, I currently do not unplug the stereo or TV.  I probably need to though.  I am short 2 power strips at the moment but will replace them as soon as I get my next check.  Thanks for the link.  I have actually been in contact with one of the people mentioned on there.  Just trying to learn the laws and what not because I jump into this.  It is a lot of money to dish out and find something is in violation.

Now on the KW vs KWH.  I am still trying to understand this.  100KW is not the same as 100KWH?  I guess 100KW is what you can produce, 100KWH is what you can use?

defed

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 07:05:22 PM »
actually, all of my CRT based tv's/monitors have almost NO ghost load.  PC 19" crt: didn't even register on kill-a-watt, 27" crt tv:  1.2w on standby, 57" rear projection crt:  1w on standby, AV receiver:  .6w on standby.  i was rather surprised by this.  my AV receiver is almost none too.  of the 30 things that i have plugged in all the time, only a cpl had over 5w on standby...for a total of about 100w on ghost loads.

get a kill-a-watt meter.  only took me a cpl hrs to check EVERYTHING in my house (except the electric oven - hardly used, well pump and furnace blowers/pumps).

defed

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
Now on the KW vs KWH.  I am still trying to understand this.  100KW is not the same as 100KWH?  I guess 100KW is what you can produce, 100KWH is what you can use?

if you have a 100w bulb, and you have it on for an hr, it used 100 watt hrs.  watt hrs is watts over time (hr).

if you have a 1Kw load and run it for 3 hrs, that is 3KwH consumed.

Atokatim

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »
Ok, thanks for the info.  I will try to find a KW meter and find what is killing my bill and what I can afford to keep connected.  As I learn about the actual power consumption of my house, I can determine how big of a system I could get so it can help reduce my power and not just be a waist of time and money.

defed

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »
i got mine on amazon.com.  i got the 'better' model (4460) for about $30 and free shipping.  the 4400 model can be had for about $16-$20.