Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Panel ventilation

<< < (3/5) > >>

Ungrounded Lightning Rod:

--- Quote from: Madscientist267 on December 17, 2010, 06:35:34 PM ---Remember tho, it's a compound effect - Not only just absorbing and converting the light into heat, but the cells themselves produce additional heat when fully loaded.

--- End quote ---

The cells produce the SAME heat, and more, when they're NOT loaded.  It's just inside the semiconductor (from recombination of electrons and holes) rather than resistive losses in the surface coatings and interconnect wiring.

The "more" is the power that WASN'T delivered to the outside load - maybe minus a bit from a few of the infrared photons from the extra electron-hole recombinations that managed to escape rather than being recaptured and thermalized.

Madscientist267:
Touche, but the point was there - there's extra heat being made by the cells. Good point tho...

Steve

Ungrounded Lightning Rod:

--- Quote from: Madscientist267 on December 20, 2010, 07:12:51 PM ---Touche, but the point was there - there's extra heat being made by the cells. Good point tho...

--- End quote ---

Basic point is that they get hotter when not feeding a load than they do when feeding one.

And in the worst case they only get as hot as if you left 'em sitting in the sun with no electrical connection.

picmacmillan:
here is a photo of one of the panels i built years ago..we had(like dang stated) some vent holes as moisture built up in the panel from the sun etc..one thing if you do use holes for venting, is make them small enough so tiny bugs, spiders etc cant take up residence in you're  panel...
    another thing i did(not sure if it made any difference) was that i put some silica sand(the little packets you get in you're box when you buy new power tools) in the panel to absorb some moisture..i do think that stuff has a saturation point though? i was just testing it to see if it helped..take care, and good luck on youre project...pickster

rain1224:
To lower temperature? I always think that it will increase the temperature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version