Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Panel ventilation

<< < (2/5) > >>

BrianSmith:
I think in a standard solar panel, they thermally bond the cells to a back plate that helps keep the cells cooler.  You might be able to use a higher temperature solder as an option as well. I am assuming you are talking about the solar cell bond wires that are series connected together between the cells that are coming unsoldered?

guruji:
Hi Brian yes I'm talking about the soldering between cells cause I'm losing my panel everytime because of high temperature. High temperature soldering I never heard about this. This is a special stun for soldering?
Thanks.

Clifford:
There are many different types of solder with different melting points.  Typical 60/40 solder has a MP around 370 °F or 188 °C.  That sounds hot...  but I guess that would melt in a typical cookstove.

Wikipedia has a list of typical solder alloys & MP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

I assume electrical conductivity on the backing plate is a bit of a problem, but is there a way to bond the cells to an insulator, then to an aluminum plate?  Adding fins would be a bit excessive, but perhaps you could increase the surface area by adding a second aluminum backing plate with half punched up fins...

Or...
how many panels are you repairing?  Could you thermally bond scrap automobile radiators to the back?

My Siemens Panels have splurged some goop out from around the contacts...  something that I'm assuming that decreased their efficiency.  I don't know exactly what caused the problem, if it was heat, electricity, or both.  I could try to upload some photos of the cells later, but some (older) cells do not do well with too much heat.

tecker:
Actually I don't think you can cool it off enough to counter the direct sun your going to loose some power . I t's nice to get the max from your panels and see the amperage jack up in the bright sun . I like to play around with candle power and see good performance from defused light and I worry about hale also so a sheet of plexy works in my installation

Madscientist267:
Remember tho, it's a compound effect - Not only just absorbing and converting the light into heat, but the cells themselves produce additional heat when fully loaded. A flat sheet of 3/16" aluminum thermally bonded to the back side of the panel will help distribute it and gives up it's heat a little more effectively to the air. Considering doing it to mine as soon as I am convinced the corrosion isn't going to spread any further in the one panel.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version