Author Topic: VAWT from Urban Green Energy  (Read 673 times)

Harengus

VAWT from Urban Green Energy
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
Hi!

I came across this company selling Vawts for rooftop mounting. Anyone got experience with this one?
The output compared to swept area looks sensible, my calculation ability doesn't go much further.

I live on the westcoast of Norway, the average wind thru the year is about 7 m/s, with long periods of 10-20 m/s during the winter.  

Any thoughts?

Ruben

DamonHD: company name restored to subject after heavy-handed editing by me, sorry!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:57:46 AM by DamonHD »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: VAWT from Urban Green Energy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »
Do you get snow and ice buildup on the roof in the winter? Having something mounted on the roof in blowing snow may cause more trouble than you expected. If the blades ice up and become unbalanced your home will shake, too.

The coast of Norway sounds like a tough environment for any mechanical device. A marine grade hawt on a separate pole might be a better choice.

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »
basically any turbine manufacture that suggests you mount there product to your house is scamming you because attached to your house is generally the last place you want a wind turbine.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
For two reasons, as I understand them, though I know nothing:

1) Houses are generally not designed structurally to support a vibrating load, so you can shake one apart if the noise at night hasn't killed you from lack of sleep first!

2) Airflow round and over a house can be very turbulent and relatively slow and thus bad on both counts for generation.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Harengus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:21:17 PM »
Thank you for your answers.

We get very little ice or snow here, but the salty air might be a problem. I have now put up a wind logger on a 6 meter pole about 20 meters from the house, maybe that would be the right place to put a vawt?

Any more views on the urban vawt?

Regards Ruben

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 12:00:23 AM »
Quote from: Harengus

I have now put up a wind logger on a 6 meter pole about 20 meters from the house, maybe that would be the right place to put a vawt?
Maybe it would be the right place to put up a hawt.  I am curious as to why you seem to prefer a vawt vs a hawt?

Less bark, more wag.

Harengus

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 02:51:38 PM »
Quote from: Harengus

I have now put up a wind logger on a 6 meter pole about 20 meters from the house, maybe that would be the right place to put a vawt?
Maybe it would be the right place to put up a hawt.  I am curious as to why you seem to prefer a vawt vs a hawt?

First of all because I love the way they look, but I guess it's kind of stupid to put up a windmill just to look at it...
The wind on my site is quite turbulent, so I hope that a VAWT could come close to beeing as efficient as a HAWT here. 

bj

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »

I've seen a few discussions about various turbines on roofs, and just thought I'd throw in 2 cents.  I've done it, a five footer,
on the shop roof.  Noise shouldn't matter in the shop, was my thinking.  Wrong thinking of course.  After two years, I could tell
you almost exactly what it was putting out, just from the noise.  And that was with my hearing aids out.  Then there is the structural
loads.  A very high wind, coupled with inept installation of guys, folded a twenty foot tower, and pulled the hinge/anchor out of the roof.
   Lots of force.  Wouldn't do it again.
   O.K. maybe that was only 1 cent worth. ;D
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 04:10:29 PM »

I've seen a few discussions about various turbines on roofs, and just thought I'd throw in 2 cents.  I've done it, a five footer,
on the shop roof.  Noise shouldn't matter in the shop, was my thinking.  Wrong thinking of course.  After two years, I could tell
you almost exactly what it was putting out, just from the noise.  And that was with my hearing aids out.  Then there is the structural
loads.  A very high wind, coupled with inept installation of guys, folded a twenty foot tower, and pulled the hinge/anchor out of the roof.
   Lots of force.  Wouldn't do it again.
   O.K. maybe that was only 1 cent worth. ;D

Worth at least a full buffalo nickle, IMHO.

I cannot believe the bullship people swallow online WRT wind power claims.

Gimme a break, a VAWT on a rooftop. That is two completely unrealistic ideas in one!

I agree they can be "cute" but so can a horizontal!

A structure designed to do it might be OK but then you got the VAWT still.

While some VAWTs have been made to work most simply do not.

I actually want to mess with one just to try it but I will rely on my dual rotor HAWTs to do the "heavy lifting"  power extraction from wind.

Nuff sed.

Tom

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:19:46 AM »
i prefer vertical mills to horizontals
and drag types over lift configurations.
but i would not place one on my roof unless i designed the roof structure, and perhaps the entire building to accommodate it.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 01:59:05 PM »
Ruben;
Since you have said you have very turbulent winds around you then a VAWT may be the better choice.
There are a couple things that you should look into.
Can you put up a 'mill HAWT or VAWT at this point is mute until you know for certain it is okay with zoning. Not sure in Norway, but local zoning will giev you the information you need.

IF you can go on with a 'mill and really do want to make an impact then HAWT will get you there quicker for the time and money.

IF the only allow VAWTs, then certainly do not let even this company attach it to your home, their website shows they can be mounted ona pole, I'd personally go that route.

IMPORTANTLY: What is your expectations of either unit? are you looking to reduce your global footprint? have emergency lights when the power goes out or are you not grid connected at this point?

What is your needs? for these do be able to provide?

Just curious
Bruce S
PS They are pretty ;D
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard