Notices > Classifieds

Chevrolet Metro (99) 3-Cylinder 45mpg

(1/3) > >>

DanG:
First thing - this has the control arm support rust. Buyer must have welding skills to brace the tower, I thought I was going to do it, but have just been given a 97 Honda and the metro has to go. Steering is tight, I use the car 3 or 5 times a week for local errands, but it is inevitable one day when parking (when they usually go, low speed driveway-parking lot turns) that the metal will let go.

I've had this a year and put 10,000 miles on it. During that time its almost paid for itself from fuel savings by not driving my 1/2 ton pick-up truck. I'll show the math if you want.

I did a 3000 mile road trip last winter and saw 47.9mpg on non-ethanol fuel on the PA turnpike - and got snowed in from the 1st East Coast storm 2-foot snow last winter.  I did two 1100 mile legs non-stop, the second one in snow so either I trusted it or am slightly touched, you decide.

1700~ pounds.  99k miles..  10-gallon fuel tank.  35-42mpg w/ ethanol gas. Hyper-milers get over 50mpg (especially Canadians with their higher fuel costs) and regularly run these cars for 200,000 miles or better.

Previous owner let it run down, I've got almost $900 total in it - new Michelin tires, brake work, new hoses, fluids and lube flushed. All receipts go with car. Clutch is good, car has plenty of pep, starts easy. Needs muffler. Shifter linkage bushings are gone, shifts okay but rattles. Has the idle-surge RPM drift, probably fixable with good cleaning and adjustment. Glass is good. No major dents. Has some surface rust. Rockers and flooring are intact. Two replacement motor mounts and rear brake flex lines included I never got around to install.

I bought it for $200 and would like better than $450 back since its got the best tires I could find on it, price is wholly negotiable above that. The car is worth $350-450 just as a parts car AFTER the rust fails.  Blue book starts at $1000 but since this has rust it's off the books.

I am located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Don't be driving in 1,000 miles to buy this, there are better Geo - Chevrolet Metros and Suzuki Swifts out there, there are still cream-puff cars that were one owner and garage kept 'only driven on Sunday' 48mpg cars to be had. This isn't for resale, I could sell it to a starry-eyed immigrant and do that - this is a good winter project toy-car if you have the space... And I'd like to watch the progress!

EDIT: Anyone can look but must be a forum member to get a signed title  :o

DanG:
Everything you always want to know about 3-Cylinder cars but were afraid to ask..

Rover:
Cat come with it ? :)

TomW:

--- Quote from: Rover on September 10, 2010, 04:19:42 PM ---Cat come with it ? :)

--- End quote ---

Of course. He is the co pilot.

;D ;D ;D

Tom

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: TomW on September 10, 2010, 06:21:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rover on September 10, 2010, 04:19:42 PM ---Cat come with it ? :)

--- End quote ---

Of course. He is the co pilot.

;D ;D ;D

Tom

--- End quote ---
First thing i want to know is when you picked up our Amy's cat?
Oh well you got 'em you feed 'em.
He likes being scratched  right under the chin.
Nice looking car too
Bruce S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version