Author Topic: Super capacitors  (Read 2708 times)

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
Super capacitors
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »
Has anyone tried using super capacitors with or to replace batteries. In doing research for FeNi batteries i came across this paper and it got me thinking.

www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol4/4081052.pdf
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Super capacitors
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:55:40 AM »
The super caps people use to buffer their loud car stereos don't hold much capacity, and cost almost as much as a small sla, but they do have their uses. Personally, big caps make me nervous.
Shorting one out dumps pretty much all the power at once.

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:47:21 AM »
Yeah ....big caps make me nervous.... too I like big WIDE old screwdrivers
that can span across the terminals of a capacitor?

A big alert brain helps. the kind that don't grab ahold of a soldering
iron to keep it from falling off the table?

Norm.

Brandon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:14:31 PM »
Has anyone tried using super capacitors with or to replace batteries. In doing research for FeNi batteries i came across this paper and it got me thinking.

Forget using capacitors. Me and a friend did some research a while back on this exact same concept. We wanted to avoid having to buy batteries over and over again. The only capacitor out there that would work doesn't actually exist, at least not yet.
Nickel iron batteries, if they can be made at home, are the ticket. Otherwise they are cost prohibitive. You may as well use lead acid batteries and replace them every 5 years. This winter my buddy and I will be building some DIY NiFe batteries at home. We've done the research and found the materials we need. If we're successful I'll write an article and post it. The trick is building them so that the energy density is as much as a lead acid battery, or at least reasonable. It takes 10 cells to make 12v. My cells will be made out of 4" diameter PVC around 9 or 10" tall. I theorize that these 10 cells will hold twice as much energy as a single deep cycle marine battery. The materials involved will probably cost around $350. That amout would come down if done in greater quantities.

Depending on the size of the array you want, a lead acid battery bank might be faster, easier, cheaper and smaller. How many KWh do you think you need to store, and and how are you generating your electricity?

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »

I started two different cars with supercaps , does that count? ;D
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller