Author Topic: Just another day  (Read 2165 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Just another day
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:07 AM »
My Dunlite 750 Watt geared unit decided to stop turning (here Allan chooses not to blaspheme) lowered it to investigate...
Cover plate pulled off and ops

Bits and pieces, parts of gear on top of replacement.

The input shaft does not have a seal but a slinger arrangement, the part that is supposed to be attached (by 3 screws) to the front cover was no longer attached.

So what went wrong........

Well two of the attaching screws sheared off , the remaining one came out and can be seen in the above pic..........

It would seem that one of the sheared screws found it's way between the gears while in service, you get that on the big jobs.
I have three of these units so parts are available but it's still sad to see.

Allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Just another day
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Well, at least you have the bits to get her back in service.

Funny how those gears need to be intact to work.

I suppose you can be happy you got something to do for awhile other than just hauling all that cash  to the bank!  ;D

Tom

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
Just another day? Such a prince!

Are there spots for strategically placed neo magnets to corral wayward incompressible bits?

Also, is that an oil bathed or grease packed transmission?

wpowokal

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
Dan yes there is room for a neo, good thought, yes it is oil bathed, the amount of oil spewed out and spread on the tower should have been good enough hint that something was wrong, it also made climbing the tower a bit slippy.

Going back a bit in time, when I first rescued the original unit that was on this tower the blades were U/S and the alie spider which they mount on had flogged out, I had the center of the spider drilled out and a steel two piece bush made........

I had new blades made as per original early version, but once upon a time Allan forgot to tie off the cable that is used to raise and lower the tower, it stays connected, and two blades bent when they hit this cable....

For a while I went to wooden blades which was OK but did not look right, so taking some of that cash Tom so indiscreetly mentioned  ;D had two more made it does look good flying as the makers intended...

Anyway must go now and threaten the backpackers, their brain goes into neutral when the have their Ipods full blast, so today it's take them off or the next train leaves at 1515 Hrs.

Allan

wpowokal

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »
Ops forgot pic of tie off..

wpowokal

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »
Had a look this afternoon and found the offending screw, and the small gear has some screw verses gear marks, nothing a few thousand turns wont cure.

Hope to get it flying again this weekend as I will have only one fruit picker which means Allan will have time to fiddle, ops work on his turbine.

Allan

wpowokal

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 07:52:07 AM »
Finally found enough time to put the old girl back together, I had a new shaft that was made for using a seal instead of the original felt washer wiper and slinger.

seal on shaft

seal in housing, the front bearing is under the seal.

gears assembled inside.

boxed up ready for blades.

Blades on ready for raising

One negative in all this is the first time I assembled the gearbox with the new shaft there was an ominous cracking sound when I tightened the last bolts

problem was the supervisor was otherwise occupied

I measured the new shaft and the old and there was probably 0.5 mm difference in length, so I machined a bit off, seem OK now.

allan