Author Topic: Looking for Wood Fired Hot Tub recommendations..  (Read 886 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Looking for Wood Fired Hot Tub recommendations..
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »
Well, folks we finally decided its time to put in a Hot Tub.

It will be inside a section of the pole shed / garage we are closing in for a couple uses including a tub.
I know about and have used one with a Snorkel Stove as the heat source in a stock tank. This was outdoors but they can be used indoors with a chimney which will be needed anyway for the wood stove for heat

I did some Googleing and I don't find a lot of options for wood fired and indoor use.

Saw some that were knock offs of the Snorkel Stove but not sufficiently different or cheaper and saw some "Japanese Style" heaters that sit outside the tub which are not what we want.

I think the submerged stove is the way to go so am concentrating on that type mostly to save space and I think they have to be more efficient.

Anyway, I am looking for information from folks that have used or own one.

Thanks.

Tom

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Looking for Wood Fired Hot Tub recommendations..
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
How hillbilly can it be?

I saw one in an off grid commercial bakery... and the health inspector passed it as suitable.  :o
It was a normal tall 40G gas water heater, with a couple tweaks.
Mostly, the burner was removed, the opening made larger, and the bottom reinforced (think cast iron skillet).
Probably a better than standard chimney pipe?  Not sure what they did about the gap between the top of the heater and the pipe.

Seems like he made a sheet metal door for it, but I don't recall it having any input draft control.  Might have had a flue damper?

A few handfuls of short sawmill cutoffs, like 1x1 ~1x2 maybe 6" long in the skillet.
It did not take long at all for the 40G to get to whatever temp at the faucet the inspector wanted it.  He checked it with a thermometer at the faucet, after maybe a 30' run of uninsulated 1/2" CU pipe from the heater.  He was amazed.  I was stunned.
I tried to get photo of it a few years ago, but the baker retired and the place is mostly used like a storage shed now.
Can make a lot of hot water with not much wood.

Could do something similar but different.
These are cool, but cast iron and heavy to ship from central OH or eastern PA.
Fire in a small area in the center, completely surrounded by a pretty high capacity water jacket.
It thermosiphons to a 40G storage tank, and maybe 10~15 minutes after the fire is started, the water is more than plenty hot enough to shower comfortably.

Locally they make about the same thing, on its side, from SS.
G-

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:03:14 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:31:01 PM »
I know this is not what you asked for, but something to consider anyway. :)

I see broken electric hot tubs all the time for free, usually just need a pump or a heater or something. With grid available and an off peak option, I bet it wouldn't cost much to heat one of those in off-peak. Here we pay about $.04/KWhr for off peak.

Those wood fired tubs are nice, but I think it's darn near impossible to treat the water and leave it in there for any length of time. I have no experience with this but I have read that it's best to drain them often to keep the cooties from growing in the water.  The electric ones are meant for that chlorine/acid treatment and might be less trouble in the long run.

Less bark, more wag.

Rover

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:51:16 PM »
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

T2

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:09:10 AM »
If you already have a woodburner in there why add another? Just fit the main one with a water tank and pipe it to a heat exchanger added into the tub plumbing.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »
Maybe this would be simpler?

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

madlabs

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
Spar,

Great pic. Reminds me of a tub I used to bring boat camping. It was a galvanized sheet metal box, 4'X4'X2.5'. I would dig a pit under it on the beach. It had a square of plywood that fit the interior. With no-one in the tub, it floated and acted as a cover. When you got in it, it sank and you sat on it, to prevent burning your arse. People always gave me the hairy eyeball until they soaked in it.

Jonathan

windvision

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
Sparweb:

Is that at your house?????????????????

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »
I saw several sizes of wood burning hot water heaters at a Mennonite store in Mexico. I bought an on demand propane water for $150 US there that i use for backup now.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

Volvo farmer

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
Maybe this would be simpler?

We scalded the pig we killed before scraping off the hair in a setup like that. It takes surprisingly little time and surprisingly little wood to boil water in one of those!
Less bark, more wag.