Author Topic: Future hydro site?  (Read 4109 times)

Daddy2Cool

Future hydro site?
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:14:59 PM »
I am interested in building a micro hydro system for my summer property. The property has no grid power and we currently make do with 12V batteries and solar panels supplying power to a couple of trailers and a small cabin. After doing  some research I think that I could generate all the power I need from the creek on the property. The trailers and cabin are both within 100 ft of the creek. I have attached a link to a video of the creek. Although the water level in the creek at the time of the video being taken is higher than normal, the water is always fast moving even in the summer months. My best guess Is that the drop over the rapids is only about 3ft. If more info is needed please reply and I will add any additional info.

Thanks in advance

http://www.YouTube.com/watch?=LwnQ5uOU4LO

Daddy2Cool

Re: Future hydro site?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »
Sorry, here is the correct link,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwnQ5u0U4L0

jvnn

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »
I don't know beans about hydro, but it looks like a nice site and a fun project!
---------------
-Joel

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:07:09 PM »
There are people here that know everything you'll need to know about microhydro, that said, I believe the power comes from great pressure and flow from a good head, in a fairly small pipe and a series of nozzles directing water at  turbine blades. If you have a fast connection or a lot of patience this site has beautiful pictures and text of a project in SA  http://ludens.cl/paradise/turbine/turbine.html
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:14:16 AM »
Hi Brian ,
you have a Personal Message . :)
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

snake21

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:13:36 AM »
thats a nice place for a hydro.you can extract lots of power from there  ;D

Daddy2Cool

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:06 PM »
Ok,so I guess I have a good spot for generating some power.I think my next question would be what direction to go in. I have a motor from a treadmill that I was thinking of  using in conjunction with a crossflow or turgo turbine. I would probably stay with some sort of a battery bank setup and use the power generated to keep the batteries charged.
Any suggestions from people who have done this type of setup would be greatly appreciated ( or if someone thinks there is a better way I am open to ideas. 

slopecarver

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
you can harvest a ton of energy from that stream,
A few important questions, do you own both shores of the stream
Can you dam the stream
How much does the flow vary throughout the season
What are your energy needs
Where will you be using this energy
What is your budget

Technology to look at:
floating whaterwheel
Vertical Axis Hydro Turbine.

Daddy2Cool

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
I will try to answer you questions as completely as possible

Yes, I own both sides of the stream ( Approx. 42 Ft  wide at spot video was taken)
No I cannot damn the stream.. used by kayaks, canoes etc during summer months
My energy needs are modest at best. Small LCD TVs at night, 12 V waterpumps and lights in trailers and cabins, radios during day. No appliance power needed as fridges are propane. The biggest gain I would like to make is to be able to run more lights etc at night without the constant worry that the batteries will run too low . Although the 30 W solar panels I have keep them reasonably charged up, it doesn't take too long for a pump or light to run them down.
The budget is not a huge concern as I consider myself above average in the handyman category. I have a good understanding of basic electricity and plumbing etc. and also have a well stocked garage ( welder, drill press, table saw, compressor etc).
The level of the creek changes quite often as it drains into a lake which is part of a major canal system here controlled by government run locks (up to 1 ft in dry summer mos) but the current always remains strong. I have seen the formula on here for measuring flow and will try to post the results from my creek ASAP
I was looking at a  PM alternator that allows you to run smaller 3phase AC wire to your battery location, then rectify it there.