Author Topic: Bore Hole Power  (Read 2846 times)

bovril

Bore Hole Power
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
I have a deep bore hole on my land, with a strong flowing under ground river ( you can hear the water rushing ) is there any way that I can harness that strong water flow to create electricity? Bear in mind, that the bore hole is about 50 metres deep and only 8 inches round.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Bore Hole Power
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
An underground river flowing fast enough to be heard like that would make me nervous about living on that piece of land. Moving water can cut rock quick. Is this an artesian well at the bottom of a mountain, or are up on the side somewhere?

hydrosun

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »
The only thing that comes to mind is a propeller less than 8 inches attached to a waterproof generator lowered into the flowing water.  I'm not sure how big the propeller
is on the jack rabbit marine turbine. Others have built generators that are towed behind sailboats.  The only way to get more power is devising a way to fold the propeller arms.  Trying to refold from 50 meters away will be tricky.
chris

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
What you have described to date is not all that clear......

Do you know the construction of the bore hole?
Is it open at the bottom? if not does it have a stainless screen or slotted casing construction?
When you hear the rushing water is it when there is no pumping in progress?
What part of the world are you?
At what level does the water sit in the bore hole?

Here in my part of the world one can drill into a limestone cave (on the near coastal strip) which may have an air space in it, bit scary as a driller to see your circulating mud's disappear at a fast rate of knots, then not being able to regain circulation. That said in those situations it does provide quality water for the land owner.

Generally speaking underground rivers don't exist, having said that in some regions there are volcanic pipelines, you may have jagged one of those. Water diviners often speak of underground streams, once again a misnomer, generally refers to an area where the sands are coarser than those adjacent, such that the greatest amount of available water can be extracted from that zone. Of course like all things there are exceptions.

Apart from a good (assumption) supply of water the only viable option I see for what you describe is a down hole heat exchanger for cooling, if you need cooling that is.

Allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.