Remote Living > Transportation

Run flat bicycle tires

(1/5) > >>

dnix71:
Is there a simple way to convert normal pneumatic tires into run flats? I was on my ebike this morning and had to walk home to fix a flat. I didn't have a patch kit with me, and even after I got home to all my tools it still took 45 minutes to find both holes and properly patch them. Not easy walking home with a flat rear tire, either.

Police Harleys come with run flats, but they don't sell those to civilians. Wheelchairs come with solid sponge tires sometimes, but those are not intended for bicycle speeds.  ::)

If a car tire goes flat it's not that big of a deal since you have room for tools and a spare.

Tritium:
Google is your friend.

Look here.

http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping/c-6-airless-bicycle-tires.aspx

Thurmond

dnix71:
I saw those, but don't know anyone who uses them or if they stay on the rim properly. My ebike is very heavy, so a soft tire might damage the rim. I bottomed out on the rim once and dinged it. I don't want to do that again. It would be a LOT of work to restring a replacement back rim on a rear wheel drive ebike.

DamonHD:
They claim to have a denser grade for heavier users/bikes: maybe that would be good for you?

Rgds

Damon

dave ames:

hey guys,

not exactly on topic but maybe close.

i swear by these "fix a flat" type emergency tire repair cans. (some goop in a pressurized can), they have saved my Bacon more than once when stuck somewhere. they are for a temporary plug but i have used 'em with some tires and never went and got a permanent repair! did a snowblower tire as well as a few bike tires with them.

cheers, dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version