Author Topic: A BIGGER vawt  (Read 2529 times)

charlie_ruizpr

A BIGGER vawt
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:17 PM »
Well after I made this vawt and saw the results I said, it is time to go bigger so I started constructing the 48" tall by 32" diameter and finished it up a couple of minutes ago.  So I decided that since the existing vawt does not spin fast enough that I should take it down and to my surprise there was a nut on the threaded rod that got loose and got jammed in between the metal base of the pole and it was stalling the damn thing, when I noticed this I got made and I just simply put it on the roof and it started spinng with ease.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/3gd16/Charlies%20wind%20turbine/MyVAWTsfirstrun92210.jpg

And this is the bigger one which is waitng for the ball bearing and the 3/4" shaft pole.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/3gd16/Charlies%20wind%20turbine/Fotos092-1.jpg

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: A BIGGER vawt
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »
bigger is always better for windmills
any plans to incorporate am alternator?

charlie_ruizpr

A BIGGER vawt
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »
Well for an alternator I have two options one is axial flux with 22 gauge wire ( I kno it is to small) and the other is a 2 hp motor I got from work. 

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:57:39 PM »
i think the 2 horse is too big.
stick the small one on and see if it can stop it when you short it out.

charlie_ruizpr

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »
This is the 2hp three phase motor that I will probably use, I do not have a pic of the axial flux alt because I have not started it yet.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/3gd16/Charlies%20wind%20turbine/?action=view&current=Molinodeviento211-3-2010.mp4

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
I converted a similar motor (3 HP in my case).  You can see the process on www.sparweb.ca.

That said...  I don't think a VAWT and a motor conversion are a good match, especially that one.  I don't know how big a VAWT you have or want to build, but in a sense it doesn't matter.  The VAWT wants to turn at a couple hundred RPM, less and less as you make it bigger and bigger.  But a motor conversion works best when it runs a little on the fast side, even for a HAWT.  It's a bad speed match.

Start-up for VAWT turbines is problematic, so don't go complicating that with an iron-cored generator whose magnets have a "holding torque" to overcome before turning, or gearing which robs a constant amount of torque no matter how fast the VAWT turns.

Stick with the axial generator you have, I think, as long as you are experimenting with a VAWT.

One day that you want to try a project involving a HAWT, that motor will be a great candidate.

Good luck.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

charlie_ruizpr

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »
Thank you SparWeb , I am planning to make a hawt in the near future.