Author Topic: anyone use schott solar and other questions.  (Read 2259 times)

whatusernamesareleft

anyone use schott solar and other questions.
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:25:52 PM »
I was wondering if anyone uses these schott solar panels and if they put out well?  Like voltage and amperage wise?  I was going to start out with a 12v system and go to 24v for the future.  Is that going to be possible with these?  Heres the link to the one I am interested in: http://www.affordable-solar.com/schott-poly-230-230-watt-solar-panel.htm

Rover

Re: anyone use schott solar and other questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »
Never used em, but the actual specs at the link put the voltage around 30V , little high for 12V charging.  No idea where they got the 20V from in the title
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:13:55 AM »
Wouldnt the charge controller take the voltage down to what its suppose to be when charging the batteries?

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »
Those are not the best choice for a "normal" system, especially if you intend to change anything later.
They are probably intended for grid tie.

The Battery clamps the panel voltage down to battery voltage.  Until the controller decides the battery is at regulation voltage, when the controller opens the circuit.

In a 12V system with a normal controller, the controller then has 37V on its input which is past the max allowable on most, and the controller blows up.

In a 24V system with a normal controller, the panel voltage is not high enough.

In a system with a MPPT controller, future changes or expansion will not be simple because those panels are unusual.

In a nut shell, they are not good for 12V, 24V, or a starter system with MPPT.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:37:17 PM »
What attracted your attention to them? Do you have shading problems and need thin film or just you just want panels? If you just want nice panels and have clear sun I bought 200 watts of UL rated mono crystal for $2.50 a watt delivered from a dealer on ebay. He has more. I tried to get shipping costs on the panels you saw and the web site says I have to call for a truck quote

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
Those are not the best choice for a "normal" system, especially if you intend to change anything later.
They are probably intended for grid tie.

The Battery clamps the panel voltage down to battery voltage.  Until the controller decides the battery is at regulation voltage, when the controller opens the circuit.

In a 12V system with a normal controller, the controller then has 37V on its input which is past the max allowable on most, and the controller blows up.

In a 24V system with a normal controller, the panel voltage is not high enough.

In a system with a MPPT controller, future changes or expansion will not be simple because those panels are unusual.

In a nut shell, they are not good for 12V, 24V, or a starter system with MPPT.
G-

Looks like yous guys just saved me some money, before I did something stupid ;D........Good stuff to know and I will reevaluate how I want to start out. 

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »
Hey guys I decided to go with this one to start out http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200379209_200379209