Author Topic: dissimilar coils in series  (Read 6194 times)

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
dissimilar coils in series
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
i'm puting this in the newbie section 'cause it may be considered a newbie question.
but,
 what actually occurs when two coils with different turn counts are wired in series.
i know they still add but i have no oscilloscope to see what is happening to the wave.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: dissimilar coils in series
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:15:43 PM »
As long as the coils are seeing the same flux at any instant you just get a sum dependent on the number of turns.

If you start adding coils with phase differences then you get vector sums, this is always the case with a star alternator where the line volts id derived from 2 coils with a phase displacement of 120 deg. in this case there are usually harmonic components that don't add in the same way as the fundamental but not let's get bogged down with anything other than coils in the same phase.

Flux

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »
thanks .
so if i rectify each phase separately rather than use a star point
 i can avoid this vector sum phenomenon?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 01:11:08 PM »
Yup.

So, if coil A has a 2v peak and coil B has a 4v peak in phase with coil A, then when they are in series the total will be 6v.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »
thanks ,
just trying to use the bits and pieces that have accumulated on my shelves over the years.
i was concerned that using coils with different turn counts would set up some sort of distorted wave and in spite of what my meter said would hurt the real output.
5 phase,32 poles,20 coils
looks like it will work.

artv

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:54:37 PM »
Hi all ...I like these types of questions...are the coils the same guage wire ,.....and can you mix different guages?....thanx ...artv

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
few years back when dan was building his single phase single rotor alts..
i belived he said if one coil has less turns --than the others--it will bring all the other coils down to its voltage output....
not sure if that still apply"s  ....
WILD in ALASKA

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »
Hi all ...I like these types of questions...are the coils the same guage wire ,.....and can you mix different guages?....thanx ...artv

Sure you can, but your stator will be limited to the amount of power the smallest gauge wire can handle without burning the insulation off the wire and smoking the stator.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

artv

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
can you stack ,...small,medium,large.......each inductor working against the next......or with it maybe ,..does the cross-sectional area of the wire ...determine the amount of e-flow.......I'm not sure how induction works...........artv

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
gee, you must have worse junk than me
mine are on a single layer
all the same gauge but different turncounts

you could stack coils vertically over the poles.
and run them in series or parallel.
 but as fabricator said, you are  vulnerable too damage if you exceed the currant carrying capacity of the finest wire.

as the windings of copper wire cut across the lines of magnetic flux,
 a current is induced in the wire.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:49 AM »
With dissimilar wire and turns in series you are limited to the current carrying capacity of the thinnest wire.

With wires in parallel you must have the same number of turns of each size of wire and they must have the same induced volts( linking the same flux).  For axial air gap machines the current capacity will be nearly the sum of the individual wire capacities. ( don't try this on motor conversions with wires more than one gauge apart as the current is determined by the reactance rather than the resistance and you will fry the thin wires).

Apart from winding with several wires in hand for all coils you will probably get into trouble using odd scraps of wire, it may be ok for test coils but not so good for a final winding.

Flux

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
For axial air gap machines the current capacity will be nearly the sum of the individual wire capacities. ( don't try [paralleling coils wound with dissimilarly-sized wire] on motor conversions with wires more than one gauge apart as the current is determined by the reactance rather than the resistance and you will fry the thin wires).

Flux:  We started this discussion before (and I bought some stuff to do a test but haven't gotten around to it yet.)  Now that I see this post I think we were talking about apples and pears.

When the paralleled coils wound with dissimilarly-sized wire are on different poles the reactance dominates and the thinner winding will fry (me:  Unless the one wound with thinner wire is wound n-in-hand to bring the total cross-section up to the same as the heavier-wire coil it's paralleled with).

IMHO if two gauges of wire are wound in-hand on the same pole and paralleled, the mutual inductance will be essentially the total reactance and the relative resistances will dominate the division of current.  However, skin effect will still try to push current toward the smaller wire a (very little at these frequencies) bit because the thinner wire is a higher-proportion of "skin" and the current penetrates it faster percentage-of-cross-section-wise.  (And this same difference in skin effect might, similarly, very slightly bias the current toward the thin wires in the previous case of thick-vs.-N-in-hand on different poles.)  Do you agree?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:42:43 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

artv

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »
"skin effect"....does this mean that because a wire is thinner ,but subjected to the same amps as a thicker wire,....it will burn out quicker,....because it has less cross-sectional area,......less area to dissipate the heat caused by electron flow???.......will lower rpms create better e-flow in thicker or thinner wire,...........wind coils with thin ,then medium,then thick,....once the thin hit their heat tolerence,  switch to medium winds till tolerence, then to the thick.....be like three stators in one,....utilizing the rpms to suit the wire guage......it would just mean having more outputs on the stator to run through a circut to keep an eye on coil temp,........x amount of flux will induce a specific amount of  current flow in a specific guage of wire correct???.....maybe 5 or 6 different guages in one coil............maybe its' been tried already ,but just an idea.......artv

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »
"skin effect"....does this mean that because a wire is thinner ,but subjected to the same amps as a thicker wire,....it will burn out quicker,....because it has less cross-sectional area,......less area to dissipate the heat caused by electron flow???.......will lower rpms create better e-flow in thicker or thinner wire,...........wind coils with thin ,then medium,then thick,....once the thin hit their heat tolerence,  switch to medium winds till tolerence, then to the thick.....be like three stators in one,....utilizing the rpms to suit the wire guage......it would just mean having more outputs on the stator to run through a circut to keep an eye on coil temp,........x amount of flux will induce a specific amount of  current flow in a specific guage of wire correct???.....maybe 5 or 6 different guages in one coil............maybe its' been tried already ,but just an idea.......artv

Art;

Skin Effect is irrelevant in regards to turbines as built here. It only applies to high frequency [think radio frequency]

Tom

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »
Doesn't skin effect refer to the phenomenon of electricity mainly flowing over the outer skin of wire? I thought this affected all electrical power transmission over wires.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »
Doesn't skin effect refer to the phenomenon of electricity mainly flowing over the outer skin of wire? I thought this affected all electrical power transmission over wires.

Not all.

Googled this up:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=cKp&rls=com.pclinuxos:en-US:unofficial&defl=en&q=define:skin+effect&sa=X&ei=CiPvTNK2AZWxngfv1eTdCg&ved=0CBMQkAE

And this:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci541369,00.htmlt

Easier than my hunt and pecking out the definition..

Tom

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »
For axial air gap machines the current capacity will be nearly the sum of the individual wire capacities. ( don't try [paralleling coils wound with dissimilarly-sized wire] on motor conversions with wires more than one gauge apart as the current is determined by the reluctance rather than the resistance and you will fry the thin wires).

Flux:  We started this discussion before (and I bought some stuff to do a test but haven't gotten around to it yet.)  Now that I see this post I think we were talking about apples and pears.

When the paralleled coils wound with dissimilarly-sized wire are on different poles the reactance dominates and the thinner winding will fry (me:  Unless the one wound with thinner wire is wound n-in-hand to bring the total cross-section up to the same as the heavier-wire coil it's paralleled with).

IMHO if two gauges of wire are wound in-hand on the same pole and paralleled, the mutual inductance will be essentially the total reactance and the relative resistances will dominate the division of current.  However, skin effect will still try to push current toward the smaller wire a (very little at these frequencies) bit because the thinner wire is a higher-proportion of "skin" and the current penetrates it faster percentage-of-cross-section-wise.  (And this same difference in skin effect might, similarly, very slightly bias the current toward the thin wires in the previous case of thick-vs.-N-in-hand on different poles.)  Do you agree?

Only just seen this one, sorry for the delay in replying.

I am inclined to think you are right but leakage reactance is a bit of a difficult concept to get to grips with. I see where you are coming from, if the turns are tightly coupled by mutual inductance it would be similar to having a series inductor and sharing the current between the strand resistances just as in an air gap machine.

The leakage inductance is caused by flux that is not linking everything so the strands will not be accurately mutually coupled but the flux that failed to link one strand would probably fail to link the others in general.

We tend to think of skin effect as being something associated with high frequencies but i suspect the effect is still there at low frequencies in this case.

I may be off course here but I believe the current is forced to the outside at high frequencies by the magnetic field directly associated with the current in the wire. This  would be too small to be of much consequence for small wires at low frequency but I have a suspicion that the actual field causing the flux linkage in an alternator does the same thing and concentrates the current flow to the outside of the wires. If this is correct it ties in with your idea.

There are things with the axial alternators that are difficult to explain. I have found that for the small size machines we play with the effective resistance seems to be about 1.3 times the dc resistance.  I have some data from something playing with a much bigger alternator implying that the factor gets significantly worse. This skin effect idea seems the most likely explanation. Others seem to blame reactance but I find the leakage reactance of this type of alternator to be lower than the resistance and things don't have much effect until the reactance at least becomes equal to the resistance.

For successful operation of large air gap alternators eddy loss in the copper has to be dealt with by laminating the copper bars a transposition is also necessary to equalise the voltages even then to prevent currents within the strands. I feel certain that if the eddy current problem hadn't forced the early pioneers to do this then they would have found it necessary from the point of view of this reduction of effective area.

Normally with slotted core machines problems don't arise until the size becomes very large so most of this goes unnoticed. A single conductor is normally adequate and if more than one strand is used they are normally the same size. I know that Zubbly found that a small strand in the bunch does in fact overheat. What i don't know is how the ac resistance of a slotted core alternator compares with its dc resistance, the limitations on output current are determined by the leakage reactance  so resistance is less important in the characteristic but it must still figure into the efficiency calculations.

I am not sure if this rambling has got us anywhere but things are far from simple when you get into the finer points of these things.

Flux

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 02:59:04 PM »

Skin effect occurs because part of the magnetic field from the portion of the current toward the center of the wire is within the wire.  For the current near the center to increase, magnetic field lines around the wire must move inward through the metal, while for it to decrease they must move outward.

Magnetic field lines moving through a conductor induce eddy currents, which create a field that opposes and slows their motion.  So changes in the current occur first near the surface, then propagate inward and even out as the eddy currents opposing the penetration of the magnetic field decay.  For DC the current is evenly distributed across the cross-section of the wire.  For "high frequency" AC (like ultrasonic to AM radio bands) the current barely penetrates before it reverses, so most of the current is in a thin layer near the surface of the wire.  Because the current is only using a small "skin" of the wire's cross-section, it sees a much higher resistance than DC does.

Tesla coils, for instance, typically operate between 25 kHz and 2 MHz.  At these frequencies you can put on thimbles to protect your skin where the arc lands and "pull a lightning bolt" from the coil - with the current running from the thimbles through just the layer of your skin above the nerve endings and leaving partly by electromagnetic radiation and mostly by capacitive coupling from the surface of your body to nearby grounded structures.

At the frequencies we're using in wind generators - tens of cycles per second - the current has lots of time to penetrate the wire despite this "skin effect".  So though there is a very slight increase in effective resistance compared to DC it's probably so low that the difference is not readily measurable.

= = = =

I have heard a claim that skin effect is non-trivial at 60 Hz on long transmission lines carrying high current (as well as high voltage), and this is the reason the really big transmission lines use a spaced-out pair of, or square bundle of four, conductors rather than a single large-diameter wire:  They're approximating having just the "skin" of a large conductor - without the stiffening and fragility of using a thin, large-diameter, pipe.

However, IMHO this is bogus and the real reason they use a bundle, while it IS to approximate a large-diameter pipe, is to weaken the electric field near the wires and thus reduce corona loss.  (Of course it will also reduce whatever skin effect degradation they DO have, trivial or not.)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »
The original long run of Hoover Dam wire was hollow.
They sell pieces to stupid tourists.
I bought a piece.   ;D
G-

www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

artv

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
Hi all ....so what is being said is that at very high frequency ,.....the electron flow basically just skips along the outer surface of the conductor??.....leaving the rest of the internal part of the conductor unused??.....if this is correct ,..wouldn't it make sense to use micro-scopic wire ,....many many more turns ,...and gearing to bring up the rpm to increase freq..........artv.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
For axial air gap machines the current capacity will be nearly the sum of the individual wire capacities. ( don't try [paralleling coils wound with dissimilarly-sized wire] on motor conversions with wires more than one gauge apart as the current is determined by the reluctance rather than the resistance and you will fry the thin wires).

Only just seen this one, sorry for the delay in replying.

I am inclined to think you are right but leakage reactance is a bit of a difficult concept to get to grips with. I see where you are coming from, if the turns are tightly coupled by mutual inductance it would be similar to having a series inductor and sharing the current between the strand resistances just as in an air gap machine.  The leakage inductance is caused by flux that is not linking everything so the strands will not be accurately mutually coupled but the flux that failed to link one strand would probably fail to link the others in general.

Yep.  Giant common inductor representing the mutual inductance, in series with tiny individual inductors representing the individual inductance from the leakage flux and individual resistors representing the DC resistance of the strands.  If the differential of leakage flux is small the resistance dominates the division of current and the in-hand windings share current in proportion to their cross-section.

You could represent skin effect with an additional per-wire series element:  The lumped-constant version would be an inductor paralleled by a large resistor.  (Maybe multiple taps with multiple resistors for a closer approximation to the continuous case.)  The resistor represents the extra resistance of the wire when only some amount of skin is conducting (and the eddy-current losses from the penetration of the circular field as it expands and contracts), the inductance represents the stored energy of the circular flux inside the metal of the wire.  Thicker wires have more inductance and the "skin" resistance, though lower than for thin wires, is higher in proportion to the wire's own DC resistance.  So current in thicker wires lags that in thinner, and the thinner wire gets a disproportionately high I-squared-R loss due to the more even current distribution, out of proportion to the cross-section resistance, that results from this phase-shift.

We tend to think of skin effect as being something associated with high frequencies but i suspect the effect is still there at low frequencies in this case.

We also tend to think of "high frequencies" as very high - megahertz and more powers of ten.  But what people like Tesla and Westinghouse thought of as "high frequencies" are more like what we think of as ultrasound.  This is a linear circuit so the effects are directly in proportion to frequency and thus don't disappear until you get to DC.  And we're dealing with a lot of inductance combined with low resistance so they should be nontrivial even at audio and subaudio frequencies.

I may be off course here but I believe the current is forced to the outside at high frequencies by the magnetic field directly associated with the current in the wire. This  would be too small to be of much consequence for small wires at low frequency but I have a suspicion that the actual field causing the flux linkage in an alternator does the same thing and concentrates the current flow to the outside of the wires. If this is correct it ties in with your idea.

As you see above in the lumped-constant model I propose we're on the same page here.

There are things with the axial alternators that are difficult to explain. I have found that for the small size machines we play with the effective resistance seems to be about 1.3 times the dc resistance.  I have some data from something playing with a much bigger alternator implying that the factor gets significantly worse. This skin effect idea seems the most likely explanation. Others seem to blame reactance but I find the leakage reactance of this type of alternator to be lower than the resistance and things don't have much effect until the reactance at least becomes equal to the resistance.

Complete agreement.  And that extra 30% sounds like the effect is significant even at these frequencies.  IMHO if going to n-in-hand reduces the extra effective resistance it says the eddy current losses were broken up by "laminating" the wire.  And how do eddy current losses map to increased resistance in the wire?  How about by forcing the current into a path that isn't evenly distributed in the copper as the current changes?  That sure sounds like some variant on the skin effect, doesn't it?

For successful operation of large air gap alternators eddy loss in the copper has to be dealt with by laminating the copper bars a transposition is also necessary to equalise the voltages even then to prevent currents within the strands. I feel certain that if the eddy current problem hadn't forced the early pioneers to do this then they would have found it necessary from the point of view of this reduction of effective area.

And the workaround sounds a lot like the design of litz wire - which brings us full circle.  B-)

Normally with slotted core machines problems don't arise until the size becomes very large so most of this goes unnoticed.

Probably because there isn't much room for leakage flux.  Virtually all the flux goes through all the wires in the slot equally, as the lines snap through the low-permeability slot into the high-permeability core.  And even when there is leakage flux it would tend to cut both the thick and thin wire of an in-hand winding.

A single conductor is normally adequate and if more than one strand is used they are normally the same size. I know that Zubbly found that a small strand in the bunch does in fact overheat.

With little to drive the leakage flux to prefer crossing the thin to the thick wire except extra retardation in the thick one caused by extra eddy currents - corresponding approximately or exactly to the skin effect - I'd say that's a strong argument for skin-effect phenomena at these frequencies, too.

What i don't know is how the ac resistance of a slotted core alternator compares with its dc resistance, the limitations on output current are determined by the leakage reactance  so resistance is less important in the characteristic but it must still figure into the efficiency calculations.

Also, the eddy currents in the metal core, and the resistance they see, are transformer-coupled back to the windings, appearing as extra resistance there.  Cores make it more complicated.

I am not sure if this rambling has got us anywhere but things are far from simple when you get into the finer points of these things.

Flux

Seems very productive to me.

artv

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
UGLR....can smaller "thinner" wires induce ,...current in thicker wires "bigger",.......what are the loses,...maybe use a form of electro-mag............artv

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
UGLR....can smaller "thinner" wires induce ,...current in thicker wires "bigger",.......what are the loses,...maybe use a form of electro-mag............artv

That is a classic transformer.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 08:56:03 PM »
Yes Artv,

UGLR....can smaller "thinner" wires induce ,...current in thicker wires "bigger",.......what are the loses,...maybe use a form of electro-mag

Unfortunitly, during the forum swap, we lost a thread started by DanB, he was using a rectangular wire, and electrical hysteresis was a big problem, the problem was solved using a coil wiring technique called "wire in hand"

JW