Author Topic: Need a source for HF 5 watt CFLs... or other  (Read 4038 times)

Rover

Need a source for HF 5 watt CFLs... or other
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
Ok, sounds a little silly asking for HF 5 w bulbs (12 volt) , but I've put together a post lamp for my front lawn ( that will be eventaully powered by a left over 12v/$55W siemens panel  that I have, through battery with timer) .

The nice thing about the HF lamps is that they are 1) 5 W 2) have a medium base ( used in most US light fixtures) .  They came as part of the HF solar 45 W kit (panels after 5 years are doo-doo) but the cfls are still good (initially I had no use for them .. now I do.. lesson.. don't through stuff out). Oh yeah, I know I'm not the only one that bought a set of these amongst us :).

Yes I'd prefer LED's, anyone has a substitute.. let me know (medium base not an issue, I can rewire, already have 3 LED based post lamps in the back yard, though more like "glow lamps" with 4 55K mcd LED's in each), but need to approach the lumens of a 5W CFL ( or close) .

If you don't know what HF is (its a store in the US.,... starts with Harbor... mainly chinese export tools)

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Need a source for HF 5 watt CFLs... or other
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
You asked!

I was pretty impressed with the 12V 5W HF CFLs.
But I did not have anything to compare them to at the times I had them available.

As far as 11W 12V CFLs go, I do know the Name Brand CFLs do better than the generics.
And the 7W 12V CFLs do not save enough power to bother with worrying about any difference.

I do know I can get more light with 37ma at 12V using GOOD white LEDs,
than I can get with a 3W 120V AC CFL made for candelabra base fixtures.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Rover

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 02:51:22 PM »
Thanks Ghurd and Dnix71

After reading G's post , and my own thoughts I bought a 60 led 3W off of Ebay, we will see how that works.

I installed the pole lamp today, running a 100' of 12g wire to the garage so I could test it with my 3A 12V supply. Installed my HF 5 W as the bulb. We will see. I did make a modification to the fixture, I epoxied in  mirror in the top of the housing (asked wife she had any old compacts with mirrors... struck gold) .  Even with the 5 W  HF light it will help, with the LEDs probably more.  (The housing on this post lamp has an elongated top, painted inside matt black, kinda waste, unit is alumi bought at HD for 21 $)

Rover

Rover

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:19:30 AM »
Well the HF put out quite a bit of light for a 5W cfl last night (subjective) . For giggles I ran in it through the Watts Up meter this morning, right on 5W .

Happy with it, we will see how the LEDs do when they come in.

Rover

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
The 60 LED 3W bulb.
Is it listed at 2 AC (120/240) voltages and wattages?

The last one I got like that is 38 LEDs, and kind of blueish.
The viewing angle is not great.
I am happy with it.  It is my desk light, so I can pick&peck type, see the calculator, doodle on scratch paper...
Worth the $3.  LOL

I got a 12V, 350ma, 4 x 1W LEDs.  That's pretty nice!
Cost like $9, and got it with a 2-pin base because the E27 based bulbs had a few specs I didn't care for.
The Pin to E27 adapter was $1 (free S&H).

I would love to hear what you think of yours.
Guessing it is a 12V DC.  Not familar with the 60 LED 12VDC bulbs.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Rover

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:31:58 PM »
Yeah 60 Leds, 12 volt, 3 W. I probably should have done the 3W with 3 1W LED's ... no matter, I'll find a use if I don't like em.
The mirror I placed on the inside of the fixture does help.

On the 2 pin base... IF I need to , I'll just grab an E27, trash the bulb and epoxy in a 2 pin, use it as an adapter.

Rover

Rover

Rover

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 09:01:57 PM »
Honestly -

http://www.amazon.com/73716-7-Watt-Energy-Smart-PAR20/dp/B001NP8N9G

I don't usually plug, but these are worth every penny. Warm-white, plenty of it, granted a little tight in the 'beam' (they are classed as floods), but if you point 'em at the ceiling, they work beautifully. Quite efficient, even on 'cheap' inverters (MSW).

Think tall, torchiere style lamp. :)

Doesn't look like it would be difficult to crack one open to get straight at the dies to drive them with a buck if you're more into that 12V thing. Considering trying it myself.

Steve

<edit> - They also have a smaller 4 watt 'cousin', but they are the pin type base (can't recall the exact socket name right off)... I bought one just to check out the output. Soldered up a 'suicide' cord to the pins and plugged 'er in. Same idea as the 7, just less of it. 1 larger die instead of 3 small ones.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:05:43 PM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !