Author Topic: Solar Panel Ground Stand  (Read 15233 times)

Yianie123.

Solar Panel Ground Stand
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
Hello, I am planning on purchasing seven (7) large solar panel.  I am planning on placing 3 on one stand and 4 on the other.  I would like to build ground mount stands, kind of like an A frame.  My width span is 10ft and 14 ft.  I would like to know if anyone has an easy DIY design so that I build my own stand?
Thank you
John

Volvo farmer

Re: Solar Panel Ground Stand
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »

Pretty cheap to make them out of steel. This one uses 1x2"" square tubing and 2" angle iron.  We get snow here so I got them up off the ground using 12" Sonotubes.

Most people like to be able to change the angle of their array to suit the seasons and this mount does not allow for that. It wouldn't be hard to build a hinge at the bottom with some 1/2" bolts though.

Have fun!
Less bark, more wag.

mettleramiel

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
Here's my set-up. Simple and cheap. Made of wood and pivots for the seasons.

rossw

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:24:35 PM »
I don't like having them too close to the ground. When the inevitable weeds/grass etc grow, you get problems. Any cattle, kangaroos or other critters tend to give them a hard time too.

I made a fixed array of a dozen panels - and added seasonal adjustment because it was trivial using this design:

(Click images for full proper view)
[img width= height=]http://house.albury.net.au/26jul2009/thumb.100_3586.JPG[/img]

[img width= height=]http://house.albury.net.au/26jul2009/thumb.100_3584.JPG[/img]

The construction is more obvious without the panels:
[img width= height=]http://house.albury.net.au/26jul2009/thumb.100_3574.JPG[/img]

(As shown, these were configured for nominal 48V, but have been since rewired to suit the FlexMax 80 MPPT charge controller.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:34:45 PM by JW »

Yianie123.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
How important is have the flexibility to adjust for summer and winter?  Any  help will be great!!
John

hayfarmer

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
I am working on taking mine off the roof mounts and making a pole mounted adjustable tracker (manual) cause its a sad feeling  getting the fall winter watt  loss for the sun angle change,its good to get the system started but always room to improve performance."mppt", " tracking rack", "more panels" "adding wind" etc.
more power to you
[move] ::)[move] :o
[/move][/color][/color][/color][/color][/move]

rossw

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:57:17 PM »
How important is have the flexibility to adjust for summer and winter?  Any  help will be great!!

Well, it's an odd one to quantify.

Lets assume you have your panels optimised for output in winter - when presumably you need the power most. I'll use figures where I am - the variation should be close to the same wherever you are though.

Mid winter, the sun only gets up to 30 deg above the horizon here, so if the panels are square on that, in summer the sun will be 77 deg above the horizon, so the off-angle error is 47 degrees, so you are down to just 68% output. (32% "wasted" potential). Thats a lot of lost power in a summer when you have so much potential power generation.

If you aim the panels for mid-way, you'll be 23.5 degrees off-line in mid-summer and mid-winter - only 8% or so, so the total wasted potential is less - but you do miss a fair bit of usable power in winter (and summer).

Is it worth moving the panels to maintain output all year 'round? Well, I guess thats your dilema. The extra cost and complexity of your array vs your peak power and average power returns.  For my money, it was worth the effort - but you get much greater returns by tracking east/west.

Combining east/west daily tracking with elevation for time-of-year gives the best return from your PV dollar, although you can go one more step with MPPT controller and running your panels at their optimum point all day, all year.

My observed results here is that compared to fixed panels directly charging a battery, I get about:
 * 10% more watt-hours over a year with an elevation-adjusted array
 * 40% more watt-hours per array that tracks east-west
 * 30% more watt-hours per day using MPPT

Interestingly, several of these are cumulative. MPPT + east-west tracking gives me close to 30% more power for 40% more time, so around 82% more watt-hours per day than fixed panels without MPPT.

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
Hi,

Here are a couple more:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/EnphasePV/ComponentInstall.htm
This is my system, and I think the mounts have worked out pretty well. 
I used rails from Iron Ridge to actually mount the PV panels on -- this saved a lot of time and makes for a nice secure panel mount, but it does add some cost.

This is one I saw in Paradise Valley and took a few pictures of  -- nice simple system:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/TimberMount/TimberMount.htm

Gary

Yianie123.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
Thank you for all the help.  I apprecaite everyone's time to answer my inquire,
John

SteveCH

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
John

Depends. I built all my racks [8 of them as I added panels over the years] out of angle iron welded together and bolted to legs sticking up from concrete pads. I would go up several times a years and raise or lower them to get close to direct insolence. I don't have numbers for you, but it just really did not make a big difference, and for me, not enough difference to bother. Now, I have them all set for the shortest-day season [i.e. steepest angle]. I leave them that way year 'round.

If you are at bare minimum panel real estate and need every watt, it is going to help a small bit to realign yours during the year. If not, I doubt it will help you much. Now, if you are adamant about grabbing every watt, go for it, nothing wrong with that.

I have read several studies over the yr. which addressed this topic. I can't recall where I saw them, but they all came to the above conclusions.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »

but it just really did not make a big difference, and for me, not enough difference to bother.

Now, I have them all set for the shortest-day season [i.e. steepest angle]. I leave them that way year 'round.

I agree with the part about "not enough to bother" for most people.
If I was worried about the 10% max gain, I would either adjust twice a year (doubtful) , or add 10% more panels!

I pretty strongly disagree about "set for the shortest-day season".
I do agree with the concept, but that's taking it as far as it can be taken.
Seems to me it would be a lot better to not go so far.

Here (41 degrees N) we have about 3.5 months of 'no sun'.  Leading up to, and following, that time is 'not much sun'.
It makes sense to get what can be had during the 3.5 months, without losing too much for the rest of the season.

I split the difference between the Lat and shortest day.
(Degrees Lat + 23.5) / 2 = Fixed Tilt Angle
For here, that is (41 + 23.5) / 2 = 53 degrees.

This is not a great place for solar insolation.  Worst case 30 day average is "below 0.5 hours".
If a solar array has any slight chance of keeping up in winter, then there is always a large surplus for the better months.  No reason to worry about maximizing summer sun for battery based stand alone systems that have far less loads in summer (what I do).
Unless the end user is doing something very unusual, I give everybody locally 53 degree mounts.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 06:50:35 AM »

Fixed at 30 degrees.

Extra cost didnt seem worth the extra cost.

Google PVGIS and change the settings for the azimuth angle to see what difference it will make.

Regards

Jonathan