Author Topic: Turbine Ratings  (Read 1517 times)

Yianie123.

Turbine Ratings
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »
I am interested in comparing turbine ratings, but all the reading I am doing says that its a waste of time because the wind is so variable.  It it not possible to compare wind turbine output at a constant wind speed?  At what wind speeds are Piggott's wind turbines rated at?  Thank you.

Fused

Re: Turbine Ratings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:35:35 PM »
"actual monthly / annual output averages versus rotor diameter"

You could read that thread.
It even says at what wind speed the power is rated at.  ::)

Any reputable manufacturer will freely give output at a certain wind speed.
If they dont you may want to look elsewhere.

Fused

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:31 PM »
The key word there being "reputable" there are lots of turbine manufacturers out there that outright LIE or deliberately obfuscate.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Seekscore

• Colorado Professional Repair
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »
Seems manufactures sell and market to peoples fantasies. It seems to me that if they were to post real world results for commercial stuff, it would turn people off. Who wants to spend $15k on a turbine, tower, batteries, wire...etc to save $15 dollars a month off their utility bill. I get flyers all the time from a local turbine installer pushing the Skystream 3.7 that says I could get a check back from the utility company. The other thing I noticed it that the rating used is the max output in 30+ mph winds and if someone actually looked at how often that occurred in real world, they could definitely be disappointed. If they based their savings on average wind speed, at least the customer would get what was expected.

Mike

Rover

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »
Although I haven't dealt with larger turbines, I have purchased smaller comercial turbines, 7' and under ... I'm not going to mention names .. but one of them is the most popular commercial  small turbine for boats etc.

Even when mounted in an open field (ok marina... open water) , err stats leave something to be desired. A lot of my boat friends also have turbines, and they love em ... but they don't have the monitoring gear to actualy see what is being produced. If it spins and make a loud noise for a few secs, they are happy.. thinking they just got a massive amount of charge.

Why.. because they bought into the whole rating thing... they make assumptions.
Took me a while, but I no longer assume.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>