Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Small scale biodiesel

(1/3) > >>

WindriderNM:
Is anyone here making Biodiesel? I am considering doing some experiments using a solar heater for the reactor and different catalysts  and drying agents. I will start with a small system (1 to 5 gal.) depending on what i can find.

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: WindriderNM on November 28, 2010, 12:40:45 PM ---Is anyone here making Biodiesel? I am considering doing some experiments using a solar heater for the reactor and different catalysts  and drying agents. I will start with a small system (1 to 5 gal.) depending on what i can find.

--- End quote ---

YES, I do. Small scale tho, only make about 5 gals at a time. I use the KOH and Methanol type agents, along with lots of settling time, and water.
It's winter-ish here so my mixture is now 70% diesel and when it sitts for more than a couple weeks I add 250ml of Methanol to a gal before mixing with Dino-D to keep water problems away.

What do you have in mind?

Cheers
Bruce S

WindriderNM:
I am thinking of using platinum (catalytic converter from a car) instead of KOH.

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: WindriderNM on December 11, 2010, 01:06:05 PM ---I am thinking of using platinum (catalytic converter from a car) instead of KOH.

--- End quote ---
Why?

WindriderNM:
less toxic and hazardous chemicals

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version