Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Small scale biodiesel

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tritium:

--- Quote from: WindriderNM on December 11, 2010, 01:06:05 PM ---I am thinking of using platinum (catalytic converter from a car) instead of KOH.

--- End quote ---

Can you provide a link to a biodiesel process outlining the use of platinum catalyst instead of KOH or NaOH?

Thurmond

WindriderNM:
No  link just thoughts floating around in my head and leaking out.

Bytesmiths:

--- Quote from: WindriderNM on December 11, 2010, 01:06:05 PM ---I am thinking of using platinum (catalytic converter from a car) instead of KOH.
--- End quote ---

I'm dubious, so it will be interesting to hear how your experiment goes.

KOH and NaOH serve as a catalyst because they are strong bases. That allows them to break the link between the fatty acids and the glycerine molecule on triglycerides.

Platinum catalyzes the oxidation of hydrocarbons when heated to 400 degrees or so. I don't think you want to heat methoxide to 400 degrees or so. :-)

So the only similarity between the two is they are both "catalysts."

But don't let that stop you. Let us know what happens!

Bytesmiths:

--- Quote from: WindriderNM on November 28, 2010, 12:40:45 PM ---I am considering doing some experiments using a solar heater for the reactor...
--- End quote ---

The nice thing about transesterfication is that a lot of heat is not really necessary -- it just speeds up the reaction.

You can make it in a black drum in a week or two of sunny weather. Or you can make it in under an hour at 50C.

--- Quote ---... different catalysts  and drying agents.
--- End quote ---

I've already rendered an opinion on using an automotive catalytic converter.

What sort of "drying agents" were you hoping to use?

JW:
Are you guys using deep fryer oil as a base stock?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version