Author Topic: Wayward blade  (Read 2995 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Wayward blade
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »
Last Friday we had strong winds, just the right day for a blade to cone loose and fly away, well not far it just lodged in the top of the tower (not seen in any pics as it had been removed by the time I arrived home).

One would be forgiven for thinking this arrangement would not be conducive for rotating, but it did, changing from a wind turbine to a rock and roll turbine. I was away at my spring/summer job, as you do, when resident blond rang "er Windy has lost two blades (later revised down to one, they are sheet metal blades with an insert that looked like two) and is shaking herself to pieces what do I do".
Pull the plug and wrap some bare wire around all three terminal I told her, "I wont get a shock will I?" not much I told her, this unit spinning free reaches 60 volts DC, she walked out to the unit to see what I was talking about and the noise over the phone was deafening (not that I could get much deafer), I told her to leave it alone and get away from the tower...... but wait there is more.

She went down to the local pub and pulled two blokes away from their brickies lunch ( an extended lunch washed down with a beer, a Friday ritual with building contractors), after conveying them to site they bravely tied off the wires (the wind was between gusts so not output). Now this unit is a shunt wound generator and shorting the output is not as dramatic as with a duel rotor, but my hope was that loading it down would be enough to stop it starting again after the next lull, well it didn't. That cost a six pack.

Several phone calls later we decided it had to be tied off, so resident blond drove back into the hills to collect the publicans son (a strapping 22 year old) to complete this task. I am told it was quite something to watch him just short of the top of this wobbling tower rope in hand waiting for a  lull in the wind, he knew when a gust was coming as it (the wind) was loud, anyway he achieved.

Somewhere in the middle of all this the tail fell off which I hoped would bring a holt to all this chaos, but it still rotated.

When I arrived home to survey this carnage, I found it not all that bad, resident blond had done very well in limiting the damage, where one leg "was" welded to the pivot bolt it was no longer, the tower shaking had broken the weld.

I secured that with a chain and went up to add more rope to the blade..

The blade that had lodged in the tower landing was somewhat damaged.

Of course through out all of this the supervisor was taking care of safety issues, writing a JSA and all the other things such a position demands.

Stern looking little fellow isn't he, well I guess there was a lot of responsibility on this job. 
Tomorrow we will lower it and effect repairs, I will update after that.

allan
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 08:11:39 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

jlt

Re: Wayward blade
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »
From the pictures it appears to be a dunlite.The ones that i have seen all had three blades, with a governor . are yours factory blades.

wpowokal

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 08:31:37 PM »
It is indeed a Dunlite made from 1937-1967, four blade geared, and the blades are copies of original, they did go to three blades and some were governed by changing the blade angle, which in it's self was interesting the weights are heavy and attached with an aluminum clamp around the steel shaft. They occasionally threw a weight which if unattended tended to bring the tower down.
Dulite info http://www.pearen.ca/dunlite/Dunlite.htm

allan

97fishmt

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »
Nice story Allan

I hope someone will take care of us when
we become antiques.

I know you'll sort it out and get her
flying good as new.

The blond did good.

Take care.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:11:01 PM by 97fishmt »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 09:32:34 PM »
From the look on the supervisors face it does look like the blonde never signed the JSA and the supervisor was thinking of a good punishment, it is a shame a pic wasn't shown of the penalty, the supervisor humping a blondes leg and the blonde having an orgasm........

wpowokal

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »
You nearly got it right Bryan, the publicans son had two dogs with him, one a young female, much bigger than the supervisor, he humped her on the back seat of the car, squirted all over her, drooling  from satisfaction, shame the blond doesn't have a camera.

Can't get this ice finished yet the second part of the address, mIRC wrecked havoc on my computer when I deleted it, it was placing a flood Trojan on my computer,  wiped most of "my documents" section, important stuff is on CD so no big deal.

allan

BruceDownunder

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 04:29:39 AM »
Hi Allan ,, sad story ,,know just how you feel ... 

Maybe time for an Exmork ,,,

Bruce

wpowokal

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 07:34:14 AM »
Just as a side issue

allan

wpowokal

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:11:22 AM »
Monday here and elder son came over to help with the repairs, I welded up the leg pivot that came loose so we could lower it safely.

Once down an inspection of the aluminum spider the blades mount to revealed no damage...

The wayward blade was one of the new ones, I had recently replaced two that were a bit buckled, it had the spot welding opened up for around 4/5ths of the length, leading me to suspect that this was a catalyst in the failure, these spot welds were smaller but more frequent than those on the original blades I had made.

Opening up the remaining spot welds was surprisingly easy, I belted the sheet metal about a bit then pop riveted the edge back together, I also placed a few pop rivets in the other new blade.  The blades are secured to the hub with 1/4" gutter bolts, now I have flown this unit for 8 years without trouble, but to be sure I placed some bolts through with nylock nuts.

Anyway it was flying again by the end of the day, the pop rivets may cause a few noises but.......

allan