Author Topic: questions about sealed lead acid battery  (Read 2903 times)

whatusernamesareleft

questions about sealed lead acid battery
« on: December 20, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
I recently got one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200337579_200337579  except i got it from ace hardware.

My question is about the standby use and cyclic use and initial current.  Can I not go over the amps that are listed on this battery?

Or should I get a real battery like the T-105s?  Hopefully I can use the T-105s inside.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: questions about sealed lead acid battery
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »
What do you mean by "Can I not go over the amps that are listed on this battery?"?
10A?  That's not much.  That's not even five #1156 tail light bulbs.

This is not advice.
I would go with a pair of Sam's Club 6V golf cart batteries myself, even in the house....
(if they did not have to be moved, were not near carpeting, were in a very open area, and were not subject to high current charge/discharge)
Because they are cheaper and last longer and tolerate more abuse.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

whatusernamesareleft

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
What do you mean by "Can I not go over the amps that are listed on this battery?"?
10A?  That's not much.  That's not even five #1156 tail light bulbs.

This is not advice.
I would go with a pair of Sam's Club 6V golf cart batteries myself, even in the house....
(if they did not have to be moved, were not near carpeting, were in a very open area, and were not subject to high current charge/discharge)
G-

I was asking if I can go well over those amps listed on the front of the battery or not?

I absolutely would take you up...But I couldn't find them listed on there website and the only places that there are stores I am not familiar with the areas.  Does Spymart...oops I mean walmart have these batteries?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:05:27 PM by whatusernamesareleft »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 05:40:32 AM »
10A?  That's not much.  That's not even five #1156 tail light bulbs.

This is not advice.
G-

I was asking if I can go well over those amps listed on the front of the battery or not?

I absolutely would take you up...But I couldn't find them listed on there website and the only places that there are stores I am not familiar with the areas.  Does Spymart...oops I mean walmart have these batteries?
The answer to Walmart is a probably NO, they carry car batteries and if you ask a "sales-associate" they will have NO idea of what you're asking for.
The previous question from Ghurd is valid, we still do not really know what you mean by "Can I not go over the amps that are listed on this battery?"?

If you're trying to pull more out, the answer is NO, cannot pull more out than what's there, if you do try you will end up killing the battery in short order.
If you're trying to push more in than listed, well you can try or you can have the ability to try and push more in than the listed, but it will end up being heat or swelling the battery and again killing it.

A little more info please.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

joestue

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »
the amps listed on the battery is amp-hours, not amps.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »
Cyclic is the rating for loads that will regularly occur.
It is best not to go over the 10A cyclic rating printed on the battery for very long or very often.

Standby use is almost for emergencies.
Say the power goes out in a heavy rain storm.  The basement is flooding, and the 12VDC sump pump takes 15A.
Do you risk permanent damage to the battery?
Or do you say the heck with the $70 battery, and run the pump to save the furnace, water heater, washer, dryer, furniture, and cardboard boxes of various treasures?

As far as I know, all Sam's Clubs have batteries.  You have to be or know a member.  And they (everyone) charges a core charge, so take a pair of old batteries with you if you have any.  They were $73 each, plus core charge ($8?) last time I was in there.
I am told Costco has 6V golf cart batteries too, and they were a little cheaper.

The golf cart batteries cost about twice as much for a pair (required for 12V use).  But the pair has about six times the capacity.  Longer service life.  Etc.

WallyWorld sells 12V house branded (made by Johnson Control) deep cycles, in ~85 and ~115AH sizes.  The 6Vs are still more bang for the buck.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller