Author Topic: Lister Diesel Engines  (Read 15438 times)

Yianie123.

Lister Diesel Engines
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:51 AM »
I am interested in a small old type Lister Diesel Engine.  I have read that the EPA does not like these engines.  But, if you use biodiesel, I do not know what the problem will be.  Looking for the hand crank start, single cylinder. Does anyone know where to purchase one?  Thank you.

luv2weld

Re: Lister Diesel Engines
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
There are a few questions you must answer in order for us to help you.
First, where are you??
Second, are you looking for a true Lister or an Indian copy, commonly known as a Listeroid.
Third, have you tried using a search engine??

Ralph
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:11:02 AM »
currently there are no dealers in north america that have any in stock, the epa ban has made it impossible to import these engine's
no matter what the fuel source is to be. the epa regs only recognize pump diesel as an approved fuel for emission testing and none of the indian engine's can pass tier 4 using diesel fuel,,, for that matter they can't pass tier 4 running bio fuels either.

canada has just adopted the same standards as the US epa, however the two supplier/importers that i know their might be able to
get one more shipment in before the door is slammed shut. neither of these suppliers will export to the US though, meaning you would have to drive up their, buy the engine and hope that customs would let you back in the country with your new engine.

in any case be prepared to spend 2 grand for a new 6/1 listeroid (6hp lister clone), because that is about what they are going for these days.

you might find a used one, but my bet is it will still set you back 1500bucks if it is a good runner, and that is always a crapshoot.

some of us have "preban" engine's, i have several myself, but no listeroids left.  of the indian engines i have one NOS petteroid
(clone of the english petter diesel) two cylinder 28hp diesel @1800rpm, which will run down to about 900rpm and produce about 12hp, it is skid mounted, with radiator, waterpump and fan. it is still in an unopened crate never been used, was built in '99 so it predates the epa engine import ban.

if you have any interest in this engine let me know, i can make you a screaming deal on it.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Yianie123.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
I live in Valparaiso, IN,  50 miles East of Chicago.   I find it amazing that people can burn wood in their fireplace, but you can not burn corn oil to run a diesel engine.  Once again, the US Government is run by idiots, and I can say that because I work in the Government and I deal with this all the time.  I was looking for a small engine so that I can learn from it.  I am an engineer and really enjoyed the simplicity of the engine.  How much were you looking for your engine?

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »
The engine is currently being offered on another forum for $1550 FOB tacoma washington

you can pick it up here, we have a forklift or if you make arrangements for shipping we can deliver it to a freight
terminal here in the Tacoma area where there are most of the major freight companies within a 20 mile radius.

bob g

fwiw, this engine type as appointed, (radiator, fan and waterpump, steel skid mounted) was typically sold for 3 grand
before the ban. i bought several preban engines just prior to the epa change in 2006. so far i have sold several of the engines
and have had no reports of problems with any of them, however having said that i want to make sure you or anyone else that
is interested understands the following

1. all indian engines should be taken apart and checked thoroughly for sand, grit and dirt, then properly reassembled, some of the indian assemblers are not too careful with the cleanliness of their assembly work. anyone that tells you they sell only clean engine's is lying to you, no one can assure this without disassembly.

2. i am not an engine dealer, therefore i cannot warrant these engine's other than that there is an engine is the crate that is what
it is and described as, in other words if i tell you it is a 2 cylinder diesel engine, 28hp at 1800rpm that is what you will get, along with the other components listed.

3. i have no extra parts, other than what comes with the spares kit in the crate, however one can order parts directly from india
without much trouble. so far no one that has bought one of these engine's has had to order anything, just use reasonable caution when you disassemble and all the original parts can be reused, even the gskts in most cases because they don't use glue in india.

4. these engine's are probably the simplest diesel engines ever made, their construction is pretty straight forward and most anyone that is mechanically inclined can work on, repair or rebuild them. they will also run on a variety of alternate fuels, in most cases if you can set it a fire with a match it can be burnt in one of these diesels. fuels such as waste motor oils mixed with diesel, waste vegetable oils preheated, kerosene, heating oil, hydraulic oils, transmission oils, and of course bio diesel or pump diesel, so long as the fuel is clean and well filtered.

thats about it i guess
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:29:33 PM by bob g »
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.

Yianie123.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 02:41:12 PM »
Thank you for all the information.  I am interested, but Christmas wiped out any money I was had.  I am hoping to purchase one someday.  Is there a specific make, model or year you can give me for a low RPM, simple diesel that I can enjoy having?

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »
Geehaw - Original Poster has turned bob g down ... ~21kW twin-cylinder diesel - Wow. . . for one to fetch that back here to MN would be $700 in fuel.

I wonder what freight shipping charges to a Zipcode 55120 freight transfer terminal would be...  I'm interested but have to be noncommittal at this time, let me make a few calls etc.  Maybe time to go Personal Message....

Oops, was I typing aloud?  :)

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »
if anyone interested is wanting to check on shipping here is the spec's

the crate is approx 26"wide, 48" long and about 54"tall iirc, and the weight is right at about 1000lbs, but figure maybe another 100 for the crate? so figure 1100lbs to be safe.

the specifics on the engine are as follows

indian petteroid, made by Metro in india, 28hp twin cylinder diesel engine, rated at 1800rpm but can be reset to much lower rpm with a reduction in hp available. it is water cooled, and comes with a mounted radiator, water/pump and fan, all setup on a steel skid frame.

a petteroid much like a listeroid is a clone of an english lister diesel engine,  the petteroid is a clone of an english petter diesel engine.

pm me if anyone needs more info

fwiw, like i said i bought several engine's and currently own over 20 last count, having serious health issues that limit my physical capability and faced with having to relocate about 2000 miles from here, i have to divest myself of some  of the engine's. therefore i am selling off those engine's that are too large for me to physically work with, and i can sell them cheaper from here than after paying freight to kansas and having to sell them from their.

bob g

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
yianne:

i missed your question

a 6/1 listeroid is a very simple piece of equipment, however there are those that are good, some that are garbage
and the majority fit somewhere between.

no manufacture is better than any other at this time, they all have issues which range from just irritating to down right
horrible to contend with.

the problem lies with who to believe, and who not to believe

a warning is warranted in this area, do not ever believe that these engine's are 100k hour engine's anyone telling you they
are is lieing or horribly uninformed, even though the original listers were said to be 100k hour engine's none of them made it anywhere that far without frequent minor and at least a few major overhauls.  a good well prepared listeroid is good for maybe
7-10k hour running on veggie oils, that with frequent services, head removals to clear carbon and valve reseating.

they turn slow and have a pleasant rythimic thump, thump while running and look cool, old school with open spoked flywheels
which can be a liability too.  expect to get about 1 kwatt/hr for each 1/8th gallon of fuel consumed running near full load
with much higher consumption at part and very low load.

a good 6/1 will make about 3kw electrical output in most area's, less if you are at high altitudes.

running the engine at or near full load will allow for best economy and the engine will likely run longer between decarbon and/or rebuilds.

as for the bits and pieces, the casting are rough, as cast in a back yard sand pit where they are born
the steel fuel lines fail as do the fuel tanks leak, valve guide geometry can be anything from barely adequate to horrible
which rapidly wears out valve guides, and they have  rich history of idler gear failure due to poorly placed idler gear bolt
and their use of a poor quality cast iron that is wholey unsuitable for a cam idler gear,, bronze gears can help but there
is still the positioning issues to deal with. that issue has been resolved by the diy'er community with the use of offset idler
bolts or the use of a special offset bushing that repositions the idler gear between the crank drive gear and the cam gear.

i can go on and on, if you like

the reality is this, these engine's when they were available for between 699 and 999 bucks were a good buy, because at that price level one could spend some time and money to make them right, correcting the faults and getting them up to snuff.

however now that they are hard to find and the price is between 1500 and 2000 dollars, in my opinion that is just rediculous
because you will have much more invested before you get it right,,, there are far better options in my opinion.

a chinese engine, while noisier, runs faster, will compete very well in fuel economy if ran at or near full load will actually do better
than a lister/listeroid, will be more reliable, and is just a much better engine in design/fit and finish.

sadly they too have been banned, but the do come up on ebay and craigslist, and while their prices have appreciated they haven't gone  up as much as the listeroids.

you can find a s195 watercooled changfa with electric start that will make an easy 12hp all day long at 2000rpm, can run direct drive at 1500 or 1800, and also can be turned down to around 1000rpm with reduced hp. these engines come up for around 750 bucks average.  they are in everyway superior to any listeroid except for decible levels, the listeroid is fairly quiet the changfa is quite loud.  the life expectancy is quite good with the changfa, i would expect at least 10k hour from one out of the crate, with only a cursory inspection done before the engine has been put in service.

i know of one such 195 that has been fitted with additional flywheel weight (about another 80lbs if i recall) that is running in the
650rpm range and it is a joy to be around,, much quieter in operation than it is at 1800 or 2000rpm

bob g

Cyrcle

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
Has anybody tried using a VW diesel?

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »
Has anybody tried using a VW diesel?

I did an Audi 1.9 tdi same as the VWs from V.A.G.

Part one here http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,129113.0.html

Part Two here http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,129167.0.html

Russell
How many windmills do I have to build to become a windmillologist?

Cyrcle

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:39:23 AM »
Thanks for the great write-up!

Is 1.5 liters per hour still your average?

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 02:51:05 AM »
thanks for reposting the link to the writeup of the project

and yes i too would like to know the fuel consumption numbers, however
i am not likely to accept anything like 1.5 liters of fuel per hour unless that is at either no load
or very little load

not sure i would buy into 5kw/hrs out of 1.5 liters of fuel.
the strongest selling point for the lister/listeroids is their ability to produce 8kw/hrs per US gallon of diesel

if you are getting 5kw/hrs out of 1.5 liters that equates to 12.66 kw/hrs per US gallon, something that wood be
quite remarkable indeed

having said that, i am very interested in your project, especially the use of the induction motor as a generator
and to hear if you were able to get the thing optimized and working to its full capacity.

bob g

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »
Hi Bob and cyrcle sorry for the delay, been up to my elbows in a Mercedes steering pump all day.

To be honest I cant remember the finer details about it, the fuel usage would have been a guesstimate so it may have been a bit more. I did record most data at the time but I was more concerned with the electrical end, unfortunately the computer this was all on died so the only record is that diary post.

The generator worked well but like most things I build once finished I lost interest and it just sat there doing nothing. It ended up at a friend of a friends farm as a back up for his milking parlour. I think he just runs on straight red diesel, I must try and find his number and see if it is still running. It was an interesting project at the time the biggest pain was the electronics with the engine loom, a straight old fashioned diesel engine with no sensors etc would be a lot easier. The induction motor and caps works very well but should be treated with respect 400v 3 phase gives you more than a tingle! I seem to remember that I was able to get close to 10kw from it if I really pushed it, I only did it on a short test.

I might have to build another one now you've sparked my interest, I have a nice little 2 1/4 diesel from an old series 3 Land rover sitting doing nothing, it would be a good candidate with no electronics to deal with.
I have a couple of  genuine Lister Petter generators for back up so I don't really need another one but that wont stop me lol.
Regards Russell
How many windmills do I have to build to become a windmillologist?

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »
i am not likely to accept anything like 1.5 liters of fuel per hour unless that is at either no load
or very little load

not sure i would buy into 5kw/hrs out of 1.5 liters of fuel.
the strongest selling point for the lister/listeroids is their ability to produce 8kw/hrs per US gallon of diesel

if you are getting 5kw/hrs out of 1.5 liters that equates to 12.66 kw/hrs per US gallon, something that wood be
quite remarkable indeed

Not sure how or why this is relevant.
A long time ago, I took my sister on a long road trip in a 76 or 78 (???) 4-dr 5-spd Rabbit diesel with 67K miles on it.  Mostly (90%?) highway miles back during the 55MPH era.
Tried to stay at 67MPH.
Got a bad batch of fuel from BP.  Semi diesel or something, but it wouldn't go up the foot hills without down shifting to 3rd gear.
Total trip ended up at 67MPG.
67K miles on the odometer, 67MPH, 67MPG.  That's the only reason I remember it.

Any ballpark guess as to the "power per liter" that works out to?

My solder guy has a 2.5HP diesel in storage that we were going to hook to PMA,
but now plan to use a Chinese 2.5HP gas motor he picked up at HF for extra-super-cheap.
Bummer.  I looked forward to seeing what that little diesel would do.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller