Author Topic: Advice sought from Peter De  (Read 2293 times)

galeforce jones

Advice sought from Peter De
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
I got 12 forklift cells, I was told they were old stock, never filled. The company said they would bring the battery up to charge and test it to make sure it was in good working order. They also told me it would take a good few cycles after I got it to bring it up to good working capacity. When it arrived by courier the first thing I did was to check the electrolyte levels. I could see the top of the plates were not covered, in fact I could see no electrolyte until I tilted the cells to about 45°. I phoned the company, they said they usually transported the cells with low electrolyte levels and I should fill it with de-ionised water. Just to cover the plates it took
cell1 -350ml
cell2 -450
cell3 -400
cell4 -350
cell5 -300
cell6 -200
cell7 -200
cell8 -200
cell10 -200
cell12 -300
I then added a little more water so that I could take a specific gravity reading when charged. I connected the cells together (bolt conections) the voltage was 25.32, I put the battery on charge. When fully charged I let it stand for 8 hours before taking these readings
battery voltage 25.67
cell voltage      specific gravity
2.154             12.50
2.115             12.30
2.125             12.10
2.130             12.30
2.145             12.50
2.155             12.50
2.153             12.60
2.144             12.60
2.147             12.60
2.150             12.55
2.150             12.55
2.138             12.50
I then connected the invertor to discharge the battery. After about 6 hours the invertor cut out, I turned the invertor back on and it cut out instantly. Then I took these readings
24.53 battery voltage
cell voltage    specific gravity
2.106           12.50
1.300           12.20
2.073           12.20
2.083           12.25
2.099           12.40
2.106           12.40
2.106           12.46
2.100           12.45
2.100           12.45
2.107           12.50
2.103           12.45
2.095           12.40
Can you advise on the condition of these cells?

galeforce jones

Re: Advice sought from Peter De
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »
Continuation of yesterdays battery problems.
I turned on the inverter today but as soon as I added a load it cuts out. The voltage in cell 2 drops way down to 0.7. I connected the battery charger but it will not suply any amps, but the voltage in cell 2 goes up to more than 6 volts. All the other cells stay at about 2.105v. Can anyone help?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »
I'm not PeterDe;
 But I can say that the specific battery you are worried about has good reason to be worried about.
From reading this post it the voltage and SG readings. I believe you need to remove this and one other battery from the system if you can.
Without jumping back in posts, if this system is a 12V system it should be able to handle this; 24V not so much.
It seems that you're entire system is way out of balance.
Is it possible for you to charge each of these batteries separately? IF SO put this 1 battery on charge for a good long slow deep charge, say overnight if possible and C20.
Take it off charge and let it sit overnight without charge, then take both readings, even though voltage will be suspect at best.
The battery is taking ALL the charge from the rest of the system and if left unchecked, will bring the rest of them down to scrap if you let it go.
This battery is trying to catch up with the rest of the system.
If it takes a full charge and come back up to full voltage try attaching a load to it at C20 and see if it holds any length of time.

If it does come back then I would go through a full equalizing charge if you can.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:46:53 PM »
I am not sure but maybe you should have added electrolyte instead of water.
Most battery suppliers get there electrolyte already mixed so if they didn't fill them all the way you diduted the acid.
With the different amounts of water you added they would have different concentrations of acid.
Some battery manufactures ship the batteries with pre-wetted cells so if they sit a long time they can become sulfated.
 You can take 1 of them drain the acid and replace it with new. Auto parts stores sell it fairly cheep. Charge it, connect it to battery tester or take auto zone  and have them test it. If it still doesn't work you could try to de-sulfide it. (see other posts here on how to do this.)

good luck
let us know what happens, others probably will have other things you can try.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »
I am not sure but maybe you should have added electrolyte instead of water.
Most battery suppliers get there electrolyte already mixed so if they didn't fill them all the way you diduted the acid.
With the different amounts of water you added they would have different concentrations of acid.
Some battery manufactures ship the batteries with pre-wetted cells so if they sit a long time they can become sulfated.
 You can take 1 of them drain the acid and replace it with new. Auto parts stores sell it fairly cheep. Charge it, connect it to battery tester or take auto zone  and have them test it. If it still doesn't work you could try to de-sulfide it. (see other posts here on how to do this.)

good luck
let us know what happens, others probably will have other things you can try.

I am not a chemist.
That goes directly against most advice.
The water is what leaves the system, mostly.  Replacing the water keeps the relative balance in the electrolyte.
The balance is screwed up if the electrolyte is replaced because part of the previous electrolyte is contained in the cell as a solid on the plates.

Maybe I don't get all the details, but I only add water.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:47 PM »
From what I read the co. that provided the batteries didn't fill them all the way when they were shipped.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

joestue

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »
too much acid will destroy a battery.
don't let the specific gravity go over 1.3
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:59:22 PM by joestue »
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.