Author Topic: Oops  (Read 3041 times)

yuandrew

Oops
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:53:23 AM »
Just happen to notice the two other "magic smoke" threads and figured I would chime in as I also had my own little "mishap" earlier today.

So I was at the So-Cal Solar Store with my buddies Michael and Richard Ponce and the last time I had visited, Richard asked me if I could bring my laptop and Targus Auto/Air adapter this week as he wanted to try it out on the emergency power packs he was constructing and selling.

(The power packs consist of a Stanley 2 in One mobile work center with a 33 or 50 ah sealed lead acid battery in the bottom compartment along with a charge controller and some lighter sockets. The top was used to store cords and 12 volt lamps and there was a 30 watt solar panel mounted on the handle which could tilt out)

We first plugged it into an early unit he made 3 years ago that had an old 33ah battery in it and although it worked, the battery wasn't fully charged and ran down to 11.8 volts rather quickly. So I unplugged and he wheeled it outside then deployed the solar panel to recharge the battery.

I then decided hook up to a 50ah battery that he built more recently. However, one of the cigarette lighter sockets turned out to be wired backwards and I didn't know it. When I hooked up, I thought I saw a small bit of smoke coming from where the cord when into the adapter but though nothing until I realized the light on the adapter wasn't lit. I unplugged then decided to grab the multimeter out of the tool box and test the socket and that was when I realized the polarity was reversed.

Needless to say, the reverse polarity blew the adapter and it no longer lit up or charged the laptop even when we plugged into a correctly wired socket .   :-[

The laptop survived though and Richard is getting me another Auto/Air adapter to replace the one we blew.

Note to self, Check voltage and polarity before plugging into an unknown source.

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:19:23 AM »
Better an adapter than a motherboard, anyday...  ;D

It's been said that reverse polarity is the manual release for the fire/smoke valve... guess it's still true.  :-\

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
Had a reverse polarity luck-out with an inverter in my new travel trailer.

I built an adapter:  Female 7-pin trailer connector - 20ish feet #12 twisted pair - (fused) cigarette lighter socket.  (Plug the trailer into it on one end, a 12V appliance on the other, to power the appliance off the trailer house battery.  Alternatively, plug in a RE charger such as solar panels or a windmill, wired to drive a ciggie jack.)

Initial use was to run the portable 12V macerator pump to dump the tanks when parked at home.  (Nearest sewer cleanout on the house is about six inches above and 40 feet away from the trailer dump fitting and an inch smaller.  The macerator pump feeds a garden-type hose and pressurizes it so a simple homebrew pipe adapter makes the hookup.)

Went to test the adapter using a 300W portable inverter.  POW!  Magic smoke came out of the inverter's (fast-blow) fuse.  A little multimeter probing showed I had the polarity swapped.  Oops!  I figured the inverter was toast.

After fixing the adapter I, for the heck of it, replaced the inverter fuse and tried it.  Ran like a champ.  Looks like the inverter had a polarity reversal protection diode wired as a crowbar just downstream of its fuse.  Good design, guys!

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »
I made a Red/Green LED thing that checked lighter plug polarity.
Never found one reversed, so no idea where I put it.

the inverter had a polarity reversal protection diode wired as a crowbar just downstream of its fuse. 

Happily, many of them have it.
Sadly, many of them don't last through 2~3 cycles of 'reversedness'.
Irritatingly, many of them board level solder in a car fuse with clipped terminals that is a major PITA to change.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »
I made a Red/Green LED thing that checked lighter plug polarity.
Never found one reversed, so no idea where I put it.

the inverter had a polarity reversal protection diode wired as a crowbar just downstream of its fuse.

Happily, many of them have it.
Sadly, many of them don't last through 2~3 cycles of 'reversedness'.
Irritatingly, many of them board level solder in a car fuse with clipped terminals that is a major PITA to change.
G-

Fortunately this one had a socketed car fuse on the front panel under a plastic cover.  I got it quite a few years ago, when perhaps the designers weren't cutting as many corners.  Or maybe it was designed with ciggie-lighter-socket-with-battery-gator-clips in mind.

Unless I screw up again I shouldn't ever have another reversed-polarity incident.  Cross fingers...

(Once let the magic smoke out of one of my two battery depolarizers that way, too.)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:17:22 AM »
Well thanks for the heads up... Just starting on some rewiring today and I noticed on testing that one of the pre-wired lighter sockets I was about to install for use with my mobile phone charger is apparently reverse wired...  %-P

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:20:39 AM »
Looks like counterfeit MOSFETs aren't the only things coming out of china these days  :-\

Bad caps, fake FETs, reverse wired power sockets, what's next? Reversed markings and colors on the batteries themselves?

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !